Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Standard Jazzes (MIM) Might Be Going Bye Bye

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ClassicJazz, Dec 27, 2005.

1. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Here is something interesting I noticed. Both Music123.com and Musiciansfriend.com have the Fender Standard Jazz as Closeout items.

Music123.com says on their site "because the manufacturer has discontinued this model and WE HAVE DROPPED THE PRICE"

Musiciansfriend.com has on theirs "Availability of this item is limited to our current stock. Once this item is sold out it will be gone for good!"

Hum, anyone know if Fender has discontinued the Standard Jazz MIM models?? :confused:

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I don't have any info, but my guess would be they are somewhat changing the model for the coming year. I can't imagine discontinuing one of the best selling basses on the planet.

3. steve21

steve21 Banned

Probably the 2005 models... why would fender stop making MIM Standard Jazz's?

4. I'm sure there will be something to take the place of the "Standard" Jazz Bass. Perhaps there'll be a change like adding the S2 switch or maybe they'll be made somewhere other than Mexico. I'd bet the Standard Jazz Bass is their biggest selling bass; they will cover that price point with something comparable.

5. steve21

steve21 Banned

What's an S2 switch? I know American standards have S1 switches (Not sure what it does, still... played a p-bass with an S1 switch, just seemed to change the tone a bit...)

6. Hey, I was close! :(

7. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis

With the S1 switching you can change the pickups from running in series to running parallel. Thus being able to get a P to sound a little more like a Jazz and a Jazz to sound a little more like a P. I have this on my P-Bass, but never use it. I bought my P to sound like a P.

8. ClassicJazz

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    That could be, maybe they are making a major change to the Standard MIM Jazz line. Interesting though, nothing about closeouts for the Standard MIM P-Basses.

9. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Musiciansfriend doesn't list the standard jazz as a closeout item. I suspect this may be a bad listing on 123 'cause the price isn't a closeout deal, it's the regular price....

10. ClassicJazz

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    If you click on the red "Limited Quantity" text under the picture of the bass, a pop up window opens and says, "Availability of this item is limited to our current stock. Once this item is sold out it will be gone for good!"

11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    If there is anything to this, my w.a.guess would be this

Maybe the new standard jazz bass will be CIC - Constructed in China. Cheap labor, quality is up on Chinese exorts, Essex sucking up part of Fender's market...

12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Can you post a link? I couldn't find it.

13. ClassicJazz

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Ah...there are new Standard Jazz models. Looks like they now come with a Fender gig bag and some new colors: New Standards

The old ones: The old Standards

Also the price went up, the old ones are $439-$474.
    The new ones are $449-$484

14. 10 bucks for a gig bag, can't beat that.

15. they wouldnt do that mexicans would go on strike cause they'd have to find somehwere else to work!

i guess they're just closing it otu for the end of the year or fender's upgradeing them for 2006 somehow, just a guess, but could happen

16. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    $10 for a gig bag? I think their making them cheaper somehow.
    Would they do that to the Mexicans? You betcha. If something were to happen to India, our whole software industry would collapse. An enormous amount of jobs have gone there.
    I don't know what they have done but it looks to me like they have cut cost.

17. THE CHROME RED IS BACK :bassist:

18. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    It looks like Fender is "upgrading" the entire Standard line of basses and guitars. They will include gigbags, and there have been rumors of shielding paint and other part upgrades. It also looks like Agave Blue and Sage Green have been dropped, and Electron Blue and Chrome Red colors have been added. I'm guessing and hoping that there will be and official announcement at NAMM, then all the rumors can stop flying around...

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I like it. They're finally doing gig bags (even though they're going to be cheap I'm sure, but less newbies are going to be going Jaco style carrying an unprotected bass everywhere)

And the price jump isn't anywhere as bad as I'd thought. Like three years ago or less, MIM Fenders were around $379.

20. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Interesting . . .