Standard Jazzes with two neck pickups...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by canopener, Jul 18, 2004.

1. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I picked up a standard Jazz body on eBay several weeks back, with intentions of assembling a fretless. I had a set of newer standard Jazz pickups and layed them over their respective positions on the body. Apparently, this body is one from the Fender standard jazz two-neck pickups bridge position pickup does not fit without forcing. So, I'm wondering, does anybody play a jazz with two neck pickups? I kind of like this idea, I'm not very fond of bridge pickup tone...
  2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

cool, never heard of that. i love the sound of the bridge pickup on my jazz. but it would be cool to have a second neck pickup. where is it(the second pickup) in relation to where the normal neck pickup on a jazz is? its even closer to the neck right?
  3. I prefer the sound of my Jazz Bass with just the neck pickup so I wouldn't see that as a bad thing.
  4. The Bridge and the Neck pickup do not sound different from each other, it's their position in the body in relation to the bridge that makes them sound different. So putting two bridge pickups in will not change the way the bass sounds at all, unless you cram them both into the bridge position. :)
    The same goes for neck pickups.

The closer to the bridge the pickup is the brighter it will be, the closer to the neck, the deeper it will sound.
  5. phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Bingo. Bridge pickups do tend to be slightly hotter than neck pickups, because they have less vibration to sense so close to the bridge, but that can easily be compensated for by physically lowering the pickup at the neck and/or raising the one at the bridge.
  6. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yeah, that's what I kind of figured, but hey, you never know. I'd probably be better off cramming the bridge pickup in there due to string spacing...
  7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If I remember correctly, Bill Lawrence makes a set of replacement pickups that fit the MIM jazz basses that have the routing that you describe.
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You could always have someone widen the bridge position pickup route so the pickup fits correctly.
  9. I routed out my bridge position space very carefully with a dremmel and a little router bit to fit the standard size Jazz pickup. Since the bass is gloss black, I just used some touch up paint from my black truck to paint over the exposed wood. You cannot even tell it was done even if you look close. The amount you need to route out is very small, probably about 1/16 of an inch on each side.
  10. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yeah, I've been thinking of shaving a bit off the cover itself with the Dremel. It looks as if I may just have to round off the edges a bit...