1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Standard/Manual Transmissions: Who drives one?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Alexander, Jun 29, 2007.

1. I do!

It's just a 1998 Nissan Sentra, but I love driving cars with manual transmissions, it keeps it interesting (especially in traffic :eek: )

Anyone else drive a vehicle with a standard transmission? And, for the record, those silly little automatic transmissions with the "manual" mode don't count. It has to have a clutch pedal :spit:

:D

2. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Man, stick shift sucks in heavy traffic...

My left leg gets tired. I'm also a kiddy baby whiner.

3. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    2003 VW Passat 5 speed manual.

I just find manuals more fun to drive, and I find I pay more attention to my driving than I do in an automatic.

4. ElDunco

ElDunco has an addiction.

Aug 19, 2006
    Silver Spring, MD
    Employee Atomic Music Beltsville
    Only cars which we have are manuals. For me driving a automatic really bothers me, it just doesn't feel like I'm doing enough or that I'll pay attention enough. Been riding motocross for close to 8 years and learned how to drive and drive a stick. Anything else is almost like a foreign concept to me.

5. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    2002 Jeep and 1995 s-10 both manual. I can't stand driving automatics anymore, but last year when I broke my foot I realized how handy they can be.

6. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Endorsing Artist: Red Zone Effects
    I hate manual transmissions (and I used to drive a double-clutch 28-foot box truck for a living!). The way I see it, we have the technology, so why should I have to work so hard (especially in traffic)?

Nope -- Any car I own now has to have a "french fry transmission." If I can't drive and eat french fries at the same time, then I don't want that car.

7. Manual Civic here. I feel like I'm doing something, not just along for the ride. It does suck in traffic, though.

8. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Does a manual transmission work the same in cars where the driver is on the right side as opposed to the left?

9. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    I prefer manual, but I got an automatic after too many moments juggling coffee, cigarette, and cell phone while trying to shift. But I miss down-shifting around corners and high-revving for acceleration.

I don't smoke anymore, and I can always let voice mail take calls, so my next car will probably be manual.

I totaled my last car after hydroplaning and spinning 180 degrees. Since it was automatic, my wheels locked up and I didn't have the time to shift to N. If I'd had a manual transmission I would have hit the clutch, freeing my wheels, and I may have been able to maintain control....

10. lopxtc

lopxtc

Jan 18, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Audi A6 2.7T Six-speed manual ... and will never go back to an auto, not even VW/Audi's tiptronic which lets you pretend to have a stick shift.

I like having control of my gears and being able to keep it in one gear while going around turns and such. I dont even notice much in traffic any more.

Aaron

11. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    It is true, you have more control with a manual - safer?
    I don't really know, to break normally, you need to hit both the clutch and the break, and generally, my foot hits the break first and then the clutch fast enough to prevent the engine dying. A bad habit maybe?
    This may only happen fast enough when a seasoned stick driver is behind the wheel.

12. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    I wish I had a standard.

What's the learning curve like on them? I learned to drive on an automatic, and I don't really have any access to a standard, so I'm not sure I could learn any time soon.

13. I believe so. In that case, 1st gear is the farthest away from you and reverse is closest.

14. lopxtc

lopxtc

Jan 18, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Well thats a situation by situation thing ... My friend was hit in rear once in an accident that could have been avoided had he been driving an automatic, the spin-up time on the manual delay him trying to get out of the way by a few seconds.

However like I said being able to keep the car in a specific gear is good for times when you need to accelerate quickly and you are already moving. Ive been on interchanges where an auto would shift into another gear on me, and then when I try to step on the gas to accelerate and merge I have a delay because its to high of a gear and my RPMs are low and need to spin up. In a stick I can keep it in gear and have those higher RPM's ready to me to accelerate and merge.

Aaron

15. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    At most, half an hour of jerky starts and engine-stalling stops and then you'll get it down. An hour more and it will be as natural as breathing.

16. I never learned to drive a stick. And, I have this recurring nightmare that I'm with someone who suddenly has to go to the hospital, and the only available car is a stick, and I can't drive it, and they die.

17. My 4-Runner is a 5-speed stick, but it's my secondary vehicle.

18. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I drive a Civic with a 5 speed manual. I prefer a stick. Sticks are more fun to drive and usually get better fuel economy. It doesn't bother me ever, not in traffic, not on hills, never a problem… and we have some hills in Seattle.

How do you guys handle take offs on hills? I always used to just take off like normal, but fairly quickly, and I'd just deal with the inch or so of rolling back. Now I've mastered the hand brake maneuver and prefer that for take offs on hills. I don't roll back a bit.

19. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I drive a stick, have for as long as I've been driving. I'm over the 'fun to drive' now. I only have a standard now because other than that it was the right car at the right price.

20. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    '06 Mini Cooper, 5 speed manual. I hate automatics.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021