Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Standard Notation Programs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by armidex, Mar 9, 2001.

1. armidex

armidex

Apr 28, 2000
    Australia, Sydney
    Hey does anyone know of a good music score program thats along the lines of Cubase or Cakewalk Overture but doesnt cost anything? anything with midi support and all the other stuff.

sure i can write out my own score on paper but i need something more presentable

thanx beforehand

Roger

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. Everybody's looking for something for nothing. ;)

There's a reason programs like Cubase Score are expensive - they are very complex graphics programs and took a lot of expertise to develop.

I recommend you get Cubase Score VST - apart from being a VERY good notation program, it also does all the MIDI and digital audio you could ever want.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Rob, you are right, but it's ok to ask - not everybody has the cash for all those toys! And recommending a 500$ tool like Cubase Score to a guy who just wants to make scores on a computer is plain overkill....

If you're starting out with computer apps, I wouldn't start with buying a pro app - I'd start with Freeware or Shareware, and if your expertise/requirement demand it, THEN upgrade to pro tools.

There are some good freeware apps out there and Finale Notepad is one of them. And it's capable of most things you'll ever need...

BTW: Cubasis Notation is a cheap but good alternative...

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Found a couple of useable sharewares:
    Music Publisher - fairly nice, cost £80
    Music Ease - works fine, looks are basic, cost $80.

Need to try that free Finale out...