Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

standard notation/site reading

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cassanova, Dec 24, 2001.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Im trying to gain better site reading skills as well as obtain a more working knowledge of music theory, I feel that site reading is a part of theory, so Im trying to get better at it.

Id like to purchase or even download and print some standard notation. Im non-discriminatory about the particular genre of the music but Id like it to be something technicly impressive, but not overly difficult to read and play. I can site read but my skills in this area are weak. So I dont want something thats going to be too demanding. A beginner piece so to speak would work for now untill I got a bit more proficient at it. I just dont know where to begin with this, so I apreciate the help.

Thanks

Cass

2. You could try activebass.com for downloads, you could also use midi files if you have any. If you have any music software ( Noteworthy.com) you can load up midi files and then see a transcription of them, then you could print them out.

If you want you could also buy a book, I have a one called the Bass Bible it's a technique book with lots iof styles in but has notation in to read.

Stu

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Bach, Bach, Bach. Cass, Bach is a good place to start because the music he wrote is so rich in the things you need to get your reading together. But rhythmicly it's very simple. The cello suites may seem a bit tough to start out with, but there is much available information in them, and you can take your time.

Also, the Arban's trombone method is another great resource.

Good luck.

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Oh yeah, Jon's right!!! The Bach Cello solos are great, simple rhythms, lots of great melodic ideas. And they sound INCREDIBLE!!! Great exercises for your hands as well...

...I believe I'm gonna go and break out some tonite!!! :D

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah arban books are great, I had one for trumpet back in high school.. yeah And bach is good as well.. although I hae only used bach for violin way back in the day..... You can buy site singing/reading books anywhere. Even a sight singing book can help, hearing the note is one thing, but being able to visualize the note in your head before it is played will help you tremendously in your site reading.

6. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
  7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    These cello thingamabobers..lol that you speak of, is that all on one piece of notation or is it a series of his compositions? Im guessing its a few different pieces but I could and probably am very wrong.

I was thinking something classical for some reason on all this, (dont know why, but it just seemed to make sense) So this is probably the 1st piece of notation I obtain. I will definatly take my time (I dont have a choice because this is gonna kick my ass for awhile :( But I know that you and a few others will be around to help me with any questions I have about it. ;)

Would you recomend using a met or click track right off the bat with this stuff? I know thats probably a stupid question, as I know met's are an invaluable practice tool. Or do you think itd be best to just focus solely on the notation and then once thats down a bit, break out a click track or metronome?

heh, got a scanner?

from what you and Jon have said it sounds like a good place to start. I know Im gonna get very frustrated at all this, and truth be told this will be the 1st time since I was a kid that Ive tried something of this nature.

I like knowing thats its great hand exercises as well.

you guys, especially Jon and Gard are helping me become a more conscious bassist. as opposed to how i used to think. Only drawback is now, i find myself thinking too much. I gotta know why something works instead of just sayin hey that sounded good and moving on.

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    ]

one step ahead of you yvon, ive been going there for awhile now, trying to get ahead of the game. but thank you

9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Cass, PM me your address, I'll try to get some stuff photocopied for you....

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    will do and thank you very much.