Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

standard notation sites

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by wotnwhy, Dec 9, 2002.

1. i am looking into improving my site reading on bass and so i would like to get hold of some music to learn. so does anybody know where i can find music for bass in standard notation rather than TAB? prefrably solo pieces, not bass lines to songs.

l8rz

Tom

P.S. i searched the forum for any info and couldn't find anything, if there is already a thread on this could you please direct me to it, thanks :)

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Off to GI with ye.

3. Hilly

Hilly

Jan 10, 2002
    Ipswich, UK
  4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    That's a pretty good site. But I have one question about the notation below.Where is H on the fretboard?
    [​IMG]

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It is actually B. German thing, you know.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Could have worked that out from the transcription - which shows Bs for the first note of each bar under H. Although it's a strange transcription - E# ??

It's a really easy 12 bar blues - made to look complicated!! ;)

7. Here's an idea, you could always download midi-files and use Sibelius or Finale (notation software) to transcribe it, it just takes a mouseclick. (Midi files will be easier to find then sheet music)
    Extracting just the bass transcription (or any instrument(s)) from a song is very easy too.
    You can listen to the midi file and easily make corrections if needed, you can mute the bass and play along with the other "instruments" and/or slow down the tempo for practice, you can add the note names, chord symbols, lyrics, ...

hope this helps ...

8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Yeah I know. I guess I just forgot to use alot of these:D ;) :rolleyes:

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Strange? To me, E# makes much more sense than F natural would there, especially since the movement is upward.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:D

E# = Fb

11. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    I would imagine the E# was used because the dominant is raised. It makes more sense to think of E# as the "leading tone" to F# than F natural being the leading tone to F#.

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    In what universe?:D

13. I've known about the B and H thing in old school German music, but is that still done today? Also, how exactly does it work? A, A#, H, C? Or what?

14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    IIRC, B = Bb, H = B.

E.g., B dur = Bb major, h moll = B minor.

15. skaboy

skaboy

Oct 16, 2001
    NZ
    E#=F

because E to F is only a semitone, not a tone.

B#=C

as again B to C is only a semitone.

and then you can apply all this to your theory studies yepiee!
    :eek: