Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Standard Notation

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by cassanova, Aug 7, 2002.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    We have a tab forum and tab archive. I was wondering about the possibility of a notation archive as well? This way anyone looking for a specific piece could click on the archive and see if we have it here. I know Id use it and I think those trying to learn to site read would as well.

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What format would you use? :confused:

Tab has the advantage of being ASCII friendly; would you propose scanned images or do you have another form of notation up your sleeve? I ask because I'm interested - see the thread I started on the Tab forum on this topic (which seems to have died after a short exchange).

I've been looking at ABC notation - it can be transformed into standard notation (given a suitable program) and is in an ASCII format (thus small and bandwidth friendly). However, in it's raw form, it's not standard notation, and it get's confusing when fancy rhythms and so on come into play (being designed for folk tunes, which tend to be quite simple at heart).

I've also looked at Lilypond (more complex formatting, but not very readable without processing) and MusicML (this project seems to have died). Are there any other ways of exchanging standard notation without resorting to graphics or other binary formats?

Wulf

3. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    There would be a problem with copyright violations if we started to publish an archive of sheet music. Tabs are BARELY legal (if you remember any of the OLGA court action). We could get into serious trouble if we put out sheet music. Sorry :)

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    No need to be sorry Paul. It's not your fault and I certanly dont want to see you get in trouble.

Why is it that tabs are legal and dont have copyright infringments like notation would? Sorry if thats somewhat of a stupid question.

that really melts my butter that tabs are legal but the good stuffs not.

5. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    "So does anybody know if tab predates the "guitar" magazines?"

Yes. Writing music for fretted stringed instuments using a version of tab goes back to mediaeval times - probably predates the guitar, let alone guitar mags.

More recently, but also predating the guitar mags, folk guitar tutors in the sixties and seventies almost invariably used tab, sometimes alongside conventional notation. Unlike most of the tab you see nowadays the note was indicated by string/fret number but the rhythmic value was indicated using conventional notation. I suspect the popularity of tab that doesn't indicate rhythmic values is more recent and has to do with the need to come up with a version that's easy to put on the net.

I always used to think one of the arguments against this more traditional kind of tab was that if you had to learn to read rhythms anyway you may as well learn to read the notes as well, because that was the easier part.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think Ed had a great Idea about the "notes of a diminished scale(2 octaves)" or "a sample bassline to _______" That would not be infinging upon anybody's copyright correct? and it would still be very valuable for people learning about reading notation. I support this idea.

It is a shame that we can't have a standard notation archive...that would make the greatest place on the internet even greater. But I guess thats just the way things go.

7. Seppie

Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    this would be a real great idea!
    i´m looking forward to it!

gruesze sebastian, hopingtoseesuchasection

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Errrr...did you read Paul's reply - it's a no-no!! :(

9. Seppie

Seppie