Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Standard p-bass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by IronLung, Dec 18, 2000.

1. IronLung

IronLung

Dec 18, 2000
    I've just ordered for a fender precision bass, and i was wondering what grade strings they ship with as standard, so i can buy spares. What are the normal grade strings that people use for general rock playing?

Yes, i'm new to the bass :) Thanks for any help.

2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Welcome Iron Lung!! Which model Fender p did you buy? Mexican or American? Fender strings the American with either 8250 or 8255 which have a taperwound E string. These strings are nickelplated roundwounds. The Mexican gets 7250 I believe. These are nickelplated roundwounds but don't have the taperwound E string.

3. jrock111

jrock111

Oct 10, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If your refering to the guage of strings, I believe they are 45-65-85-105 for the stock strings. This is probably the most popular set for most types of music. You might want to experiment though.

[Edited by jrock111 on 12-20-2000 at 03:41 PM]

4. IronLung

IronLung

Dec 18, 2000
    What do earnie ball call those, then? i.e - 9's are Super Slinkys for guitars.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

5. jrock111

jrock111

Oct 10, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hybrid Slinkys

6. Reid

Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    mexican standards have .45-.100 stock strings
    i put ernie ball power slinky's (same gauge) on mine.

7. Reid

Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    er.. super slinky's
    i always mix them up

8. Gee, I remember when Fenders and Rickenbackers used to come stocked with flatwound strings! :D Not all of them mind you, but about half came with rounds and half came with flats (this was around 1980).