1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Standard P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eno50, Mar 30, 2009.

1. eno50

eno50

Jan 31, 2009
    North of Memphis
    Hello fellow players,
    I've been out of pocket on the newer fender basses.
    I don't know how many time i have kicked my self in the
    a## for trading and selling basses over the years,but that's
    water under the bridge...
    I know fender has gone wild on there prices these days,but I'am in the market for a plain and simple p-bass,I
    don't want to spend a fortune on an reissue or custom shop,
    but I just want a ,what I call a Gig bass, I get alittle nevous
    bringing expensive basses to gigs now days,and the stuff I'am doing nowdays is old school 70's rock and blues and a
    decent p-bass will work for me.
    My Question is ,How are the mexican p-bass rate? and how do they sound stock off the shelf/ and do they hold up pretty
    well? can they be set up good to play and sound good or do they need many mods done to get them up to par?
    I do not have a fender dealer close by to try one out, but i can shop one line to find better deals out there. The 2008's have went up to almost 6 bills ,but i have found two 2007's for alittle over 3 (new old stock) the guy said the 07's have some upgrades like shielding and better fretwork and electronics so that is a good thing if thats true.
    I have'nt owend a p-bass since the mid 70's . so any players out there who have a standard can give me the real low down....
    Eno

2. I've got an '08 Mexi P and really, the only thing I had to do with it (other than a good setup) was to file the frets a little. Other than that it's my second favorite (out of 7 basses).

3. danster

danster

Jul 13, 2007
    Connecticut, USA
    I've got a '08 Mexi P bass too...all stock (except a 50's pickguard) and its great. Paid $500 out the door with gig bag..
    The only thing I did was set it up and put flats on it. Tuners are fine, bridge is fine, pickups sound good.
    Great bang for buck...I may get a Mexi Jazz next.

4. I've had great luck with my two MIM J-basses, and am looking for a P to complement my MIJ P. I think Fender is trying to be seen as less diversified geographically and more a one-brand company. Sure, there are differences, but the MIMs in general have become more quality driven in my view.

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    If you can spend a bit more, the Fender 50's Classic(MIM) are GREAT basses for the money. They don't need any upgrading, and are pretty much good to go. The neck is a little wider than the MIM Standard though. The Standards are still very good basses. Fender has really done some nice work on them. The newer ones especially.