Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Standard P" vs. "Reverse P" (Sadowsky, etc.)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Blackbird, May 12, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    This one's mostly for Roger Sadowsky, but I figure any of the builders who work with a PJ pickup setup could answer it.

I just checked out Sadowsky's website and I noticed there's a 5 strin PJ bass with a "Standard P" or "Reversed P" option. Most major manufacturers do either one or the other, with Peavey and Ibanez being the most prominent Reverse P manufacturers I know of. Does one setup have an advantage, sonic or otherwise over the other?

2. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    We began to offer the reverse P when we came out with the P-J 5. To date, as many players have preferred the standard to the reverse. If you are a "P" player, you will probably prefer the standard P---one of the reasons being that you are used to resting your thumb on the end of the bass coil.

The advantage of the Reverse P is as follows"
    1) It moves the bass coil closer to the bridge which helps produce a "tighter" B string.

2) It puts the treble coil where a J-bass neck pickup is so when you are in the "neck/bridge combination" setting and pop the "G", it sounds closer to what it would on a J-bass.

Finally, when you play the P pickup by itself, it still sounds like a "P".

Hope this helps.

Roger

3. The Epiphone EBM models had a reverse-P setup. My Tanglewood has a Standard P. I've found that when playing fingerstyle on the reverse P you are given less room to maneuver, as your anchor is closer to the J housing. Playing with a plectrum or slapping favours the reverse option IMO however. The 'tighter B' as Roger puts it is more favourable to my ears.