1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Standard Tuned Bass and Drop D Guitars?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by danjl131, Mar 17, 2009.

1. danjl131

danjl131

Jun 10, 2008
    hey, i've been trying to write a few songs lately by myself (band on hiatus). i play guitar and bass, and i have noticed my guitar stuff in drop d sounds pretty good. however, for some odd reason (i have no idea why) i strongly prefer standard tuning on a bass. this means bass cant hit low d when the guitar is playing it, and i would have to play d on 5th fret a string. is it "bad" for the bass to be in the same octave as guitar during d chords? (or vice versa depending on how u look at it). what do u think of having two different tunings? i know its my song(s) and its "up to me", but i wanted to hear your opinion on this and/or if this occurs in ur songs/band (two different tunings).

ps as much as i've considered it, i dont really have money to spend on a 5 string

pss sorry if this thread is lame :bag:

2. RTO

RTO

Jan 31, 2009
    SW Ontario Canada
    Just put the bass in drop D, It'll sound better with the song and everything.

3. It's a matter of taste, nothing more. Usually playing an octave lower than a guitar will sound better, but then again there are a lot of basslines up high on the neck, even higher than guitars. Playing the unison certainly isn't 'wrong', it just isn't always preferable. But there are always exceptions that work well.

In short, it's your song, write how you want :)

4. You check out RondoMusic? They have some inexpensive 5-stringers, and by most accounts play quite acceptably.

5. record the song without going to drop D.

listen to it.

does it sound good as-is, or is it missing that low D?

6. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    it should sound fine... deffinately wont be heavy. I've found that it's better in these situations to contour the whole bassline melodically around the range you plan to use. this way the bottom doesn't just drop out in the middle of the tune when you jump from a low E to that D (you could use an approach line, move the whole line to unison, ect. to solve this... try all sorts of things!)