1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Standard vs Vintage J Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lowendpurveyor, Nov 21, 2003.

1. I'm just curious to know how you guys would describe the difference (in terms of tone and output) between the standard J bass pickups and the vintage J pickups that come with the new Fender standard J bass models. I'm also interested in how they actually differ including winding and the number of turns etc. I've got a MIM Jazz and was wondering whether it is worth replacing the pickups.

2. The vintage are typically lower output, and less brazen in the mids.

I replaced the stock 2001 MIM P-bass pickup with a Duncan Hot for P. Much louder, tone similar to turning the Mids control all the way up. Not for me, so I replaced it with a DiMarzio DP146. I still seem to have a lot of mids, but not as much as the Duncan. The DP146 is not as overwound as the Duncan.

If you have a pre-2001 MIM, be sure to verify the pickup sizes before buying. The older MIM used a non-standard size pickup, and require routing out the body to accept a standard sized J pickup.