"Standard" Warwick's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ultramangeos, Mar 29, 2002.

1. I am currently playing a Fender standard (Mexican) Jazz bass. I have been looking around, and I came accross the fact that Warwick has a "standard" version of some of their basses. I am looking to upgrade to a middle grade($400-$600) 5-string bass. Does anyone have any insight into these Warwicks. I think I am hung up on them only for the fact that down the line, I would like to get a "real" Warwick.:cool:
  2. They are real warwicks.. they're 100 % warwick.. but they're passive instead of active..

From what i've heard in the store their sound is pretty similar to the other warwicks with the active EQ switched off.. superb lows and nice, punchy mids & highs :)

i've played on the standard-5 with 2 pickups at Musik Produktiv thru a Warwick 1x15 combo, and it sounded very impressive for a passive bass.. personally i'm more a fan of active basses, but the standard-5 was very impressive.

Neck is pretty similar to other warwicks, but the body is a little different from the streamer LX.. e.g. the LX has round horns where the standard-5's horns are rounded squares.. and the standard-5 has got a 1-piece bridge, where other warwicks have a seperate tailpiece.

afair the member ' Lupin ' ( French chap ) has one.. you could try asking him :)
  3. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I have a Streamer Standard 5(two pickups) and I love it. Tight string spacing though, just so you know. Other than that, the instrument is great. Deep, rich tone, nice design, adjust-a-nut, etc... I got mine for $575(american) at a GC Holiday blowout, and I still think it was well worth that or more.
  4. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    I think www.musiciansfriend.com has the streamer standard's for your price range. I think they are left over 2001 models.

edit: BTW, I played a streamer standard 4 with 2 pickups before. AMAZING bass for the price. I think the low gloss finish just sent me over the edge. I wish I had some money to buy one of these.
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the WARWICK streamer standards are very cool. same neck as all the other bolt ons with a lighter body, different bridge, and passive electronics.

i was about to order a fretless, then they discontinued 'em. :(

the new ones have maple necks with rosewood boards. not the same at all.