1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

standel ? part 2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Border, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Border

Border

Dec 31, 2010
    Spokane, Wa.
    Hello TBers, I had recently posted a question about the standel I have inherited. I have attached some pictures of the amp and was curious about the advice I got from the tech. The amps former owner delivered it to him in 2007, and I doubt anything was done with it until I began contacting him every few weeks about six months ago. When he did examine it, he indicated the speakers and pre amps were good, but that the power amp(s) were not working. He said there was negative voltage and that it appeared a drink had been spilled into the amp. He thought it would be difficult to find parts and I paid him for his time and brought the amp home. I like the amp, thought the very world of its former owner, and am curious if anyone is familiar with these, whether it is worth repairing and where parts may be found. As you can tell from the pictures, it is a 100 watt, 2 channel amp (normal and bass) it has two 15" drivers and several ports. It was built in 1969, and per the tech, had a qc tag in it signed on 12/26/1969. I would love to get it working again, any thoughts, leads, recollections etc would be most appreciated.

a5f19574.
    1dd925f4.
    2ddae21b.
    093bd32b.
    55ae02eb.
    1dd925f4.

2. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Good luck with it! I have a Standel Artist 15 and it sees some gig action. I'm a tube guy, but IMO it's one of the nicer sounding old SS amps out there.

I would definitely replace those 15"s , though - tiny voice coils and I'm guessing pretty limited excursion. I dropped a JBL K145 in mine.

Mine looks like this, but it's a single 15 instead of 4 10s -

StandelS20R1.

and sadly, much more beat up. :(

3. My high school jazz band had one of those (in the early 70's). My memories of that amp were that it was limited in volume and had very limited tone controls. Fine for jazz or a smallish church gig but not so much in a pop rock venue unless the stage volume is under control... A cool blast from the past regardless.

4. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Back when I was much younger; my favorite SS amp was Standel. I had a Super Imperial with 2-15" "Freecone, Trusonic" speakers.It pounded for what it was, sizeand power wise.

I did also love the BT140

5. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
    My first "real" amp was a Standel Super Imperial XV; looked like nysbob's picture, but with two 15" JBLs. It had two power amps, one for each speaker. They were 35w each, for a total of 70w. It was a good amp for it's day.

That 100w rating could be right, though I'm slightly skeptical of it. Most Standels weren't that powerful, and they usually did not have output power ratings on the amp; only the max outlet draw. I got my power rating from a tech who scoped it.

My Standel met it's demise in the late 70s, when one of the potted preamp modules failed. By then, Standel had gone under, and the modules were not replaceable or repairable. Since then, Standel has been resurrected. (standelamps.com) The new company focuses on the earlier tube designs, but has published some of the old SS schematics, so you may have a chance of repairing this. The cost of repair might exceed it's working value, since these aren't in high demand.

I probably wouldn't replace the speakers, but I would at least replace the dust caps.

6. my first real bass rig back in the mid 70s was a Standel MC IIB preamp and two of the Standel Artist 30 cabs for a total of 4-15s and maybe 200 watts. Same vintage ('69-'70) as your Studio. Could hold up pretty well back in the day w/two guitarists using twin amps and a loud drummer and sounded pretty good.

Unfortunately both the power modules released the magic black smoke, though and I never repaired them. Instead I used a Peavey Musician to power the cabs (after pulling the amps and wiring up jacks) and that worked fine.

I don't believe they have much in the way of collectibility so it might not be worth your while fixing the amp. That said, I'd be tempted to find an amp "module" kit to drop in there, no more than 100 watts or so, and keep the speakers if they're in decent shape. Then you'd have a nice vintage-y practice/rehearsal/recording amp w/a lot of vibe.

If the speakers are crapped out then look to something like the Emi Beta 15s or Delta 15s.

Edit: the more I look at those speakers the more I have to agree w/the suggestions to swap them out. If you like, I can run a very quick and dirty WinISD and see what might work in there. Can you give me the approximate inner dimensions (I'll take the outer ones if that's all you can do)? Also, what are the port diameters and depth?

7. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Can't help with the tech stuff, but highly encourage you to restore to as close to original as possible. I don't remember the model # of my 2X15 100 watt combo, it did look a little diff., but prob. not dissimilar. Wish I still had it...tone up the wingwang, and loud. Maybe the best sounding amp I've ever owned!! There must be someone who can bring her back to life!!!!

8. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Oh I can guarantee that there is someone who could fix it, but most (not all) tech's shy way from old SS stuff. ;)

There are a few guys who did it, but in what is in itself a rare breed, guys willing to tackle things like this are an even Rarer breed. Just like Thomas Organ Vox's... often when they go ka-put, you run out of options Trust me... I know. :rolleyes:

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If you're looking to fix it up in a sort of memory of a loved one, what it's worth as a sale item doesn't matter anymore. For that I commend you.

Some schematics and/or gut shots of the amp would help folks here steer you in the right direction. Biggest hurdle might be something like a particular transistor used or something being out of production/not available anymore. Resistors, caps, pots, etc., can all be found somewhere.

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If the speakers work and you want to keep those, that's cool, but you need to get some replacement dustcaps on them. Otherwise dirt/debris, etc. will eventually get in the gap down there and they won't work anymore.

11. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I played Standel back when they were new. It was an Imperial, pre amp with two 2x15 cabinets with internal amplifiers. That rig sounded great and was able to bury the Twin Reverb toting guitarists I played with.

Standel used modules potted in some sort of rock hard crap. The idea was that if something failed, the tech was to just change out the module. These days, the modules are unobtainium. Trying to un pot a module and then fix it is a path to insanity. The odds of success are low, and there were some pretty darn good techs who ended up getting burned trying.

Any decent older tech knows this, and won't touch a SS Standel.

12. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
    That was true years ago, but as I posted earlier, the schematics for those modules are now posted at standelamps.com. They're simple circuits that can be built on perfboard.

But this is moot for the OP, whose tech "indicated the speakers and pre amps were good, but that the power amp(s) were not working".

13. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    That the modules schematics are now posted is a good thing. That changes my view on the Standel 180 degrees.

Thank you 1n3 for the correction. I appreciate it.

14. wagdog

wagdog Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Waiting for the bus
    I would think if it's just the power amp portion that's not working then that would be reasonably repairable. Maybe even buy a new plate amp and entirely bypass the old unit if it's too far gone. The hard part is going to be finding a tech who will want to mess with it though.

15. Border

Border

Dec 31, 2010
    Spokane, Wa.
    Sincere thanks to all who responded, I greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions. I will get some pictures of the insides of the amp and get them uploaded soon. The cabinet interior dimensions are approximately 25 1/2"s wide, 35 1/2"s high, and 12"s deep. There are four ports that are 6"s across. There are not that many options for amp repair here in Spokane, but I plan on getting a second opinion. I like the tech that looked at it, but he had it four about five years and had not worked on it at all until I began calling him every few weeks. I don't think his heart was in it.

16. I had the 2X15 model. Used it as my only rig for about 3 years. It didn't have the power for large halls so I would rent one or two other Standels and just use them all. But for most small venues it was fine. For outdoor shows I was mic'd into the main system. Loved the wheels on the side.

Attached Files:

17. Just noticed the screws are in front on yours and the grill is just velcroed on. Mine was older and to change a blown speaker I had to un-screw (by hand back then!) about 18 - 20 long wood screws on the back of the cab, then un-screw another set holding the speaker in. It took me easily 30 minutes to do all that. Velcro is the way to go.

18. +1. Those amp designs weren't rocket science but the transistors might be hard to find now. Unless you want to do some homework and see if there's any modern substitutes :meh:

Parts Express has a plate amp used for making powered PA cabs that might fit the bill and would likely cause you a lot less grief in the long run:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-797

Not a bad amount of power, 250 watts into 4 ohms. Just have the tech route the preamp output into the plate amp input and you're good to go.

I'm sure there's other drop in amp products but that's just to give you an idea.

I did a quick WinISD based on the specs you gave me, looks like you could actually drop in two of the Eminence CB158s in there, great speaker and perfect for that old school bass sound.

Block two of the vents to get the box tuning to around 45 Hz (looks like they're 5-6 inches deep).

Line the interior with about 1" polyfill batting, that's quilt lining you can get easily at any craft store.

Might want to add a little bracing to the interior as well, esp the back panel, just 1 by 2s.

19. check the stickies in this section for recommended amp repair technicians, I'll bet someone has mentioned at least one or more in Spokane. Good luck :D

20. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
    Thanks, this confirms the 100w rating.