1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Standing a Schroe 1212L on it's side. Help on small stages?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by synterx, Mar 16, 2009.

1. synterx

synterx Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    I read a review of the 1212L, and the guy said the angled 2nd woofer is actually for better hearing yourself on a stage while you are standing in front of it. It makes sense, I never took it that way when looking at it. I play on very small stages, and am usually standing inches in front of my cabinets. I'm wondering if something like the 1212L will be a good cab for such a situation?

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I've done that with my 1212 or 1210 on every gig I've done with them, works for me.

3. synterx

synterx Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    Is it noticeable though? Does that speaker actually aim better?

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yes, it does work noticeably. However, they are strange cabs. You can hear the bass very well even standing to the side or behind them. What works even better though is a wedge style cab. I played a small venue the other night and I was right up against a wall. I tilted both my UL112s1s on their side against the wall and wow did that sound good. I think the wedge thing gives the sound more time to 'develop' when tilted back. Sort of like ripples on a lake when you throw a stone in. The ripples get bigger as they move farther out.

5. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows

Oct 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    worked for me with my 1212L

6. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I've done this in the past with my old Schroeder 1212R.
    I tried it both ways - with the angled woofer pointed up at me and with the angled woofer pointed down facing the floor (so as to "feel" the bass more). It definitely sounded a lot better with the woofer angled up.

In the end though, vertically or horizontally it didn't really make much of a difference in sound. Unless the woofer was firing at the floor.

This was a great little cab.

7. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I also do it on small stages with either my 1210R or 1212L
    It does help you hear yourself a bit better although i have never had a problem in hearing myself, even when standing at the side of the cab
    I do it just to make the footprint a bit smaller on small stages.
    With these cabs the sound you hear when standing up close isnt the same as the audience hears so you can have them any way you want without really affecting the out front tone.
    at least, thats what i hear.

8. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    I did this the other night and it worked out well.

This cab is growing on me.

I its permanently on its side now.

9. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    I've tried mine every way up. FOH you can't hear a difference but on stage I find on its side is better. I use mine with the angled driver facing down. Plus, as this is now my only cab, I don't have to bend too far down to adjust the amp!