1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Standing Bass advice

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by cmybass, Jul 8, 2013.

1. cmybass

cmybass

Jul 8, 2013
    To start off I'm not a Bassist (but might become one :D). While doing a clean up/repair job on a house for some people, I came across a standing bass behind some junk in the basement, the new owners didn't want it so I brought it home (hopefully worth it). After looking it over, I'm assuming it was a beginners Bass. It's about 68" tall, & it's a:

Verona Stradivarius model

the base of the neck has what I'm guessing to be initials & two letters & a number above the initials.

While I might just sell it, I can't seem to find what a used Verona Stradivarius would go for & appreciate any insight.

2. basic74

basic74

Dec 28, 2012
    europe
    pictures would help. it´s impossible to say form this description. the name "verona stradivarius" is almost certainly fake - if not, it´s worth a million dollars ;)

3. cmybass

cmybass

Jul 8, 2013
    I'll upload a picture eventually (sucks not being able to afford a smart phone :atoz:) Pretty sure it's not of high quality as the "certification" inside the bass says: made in china.

4. What you have is known as a CCB, or Cheap Chinese Bass. From the size of it it is an instrument for a child about five feet tall, and the inscription probably means it belonged to a school at some point.

Still, it was free, so you don't have much to lose. Seek out a teacher in your area so you don't hurt yourself learning to play it, and have fun!

5. cmybass

cmybass

Jul 8, 2013
    Had a feeling it belonged to a school at some point; the previous occupants weren't the type to go all out on an instrument. In the event I can't find a teacher/don't have the room for it, how much would a ccb go for?

6. Couple hundred, maybe five on a good day.

7. Low Hertz

Low Hertz

Sep 28, 2006
    Davis, CA
    Generally a Chinese bass labeled Stradivarius is a disposable bass. Literally. They use they ply plywood which comes apart. There could be better plywood basses.