Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Standing in shadows of Motown; some help please

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bass87, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Sorry, another Gi thread from me :rolleyes:

Anyway, I got the Standing in the Shadows of Motown book today. From the short time I've had it so far it seems excellent, but my question is how can I use it so that I get the most out of it?

This evening I managed to learn about half of What's Going On in an hour or so, is that a decent rate for someone who's been playing a year?

And also, are there any particular songs I should look at, specific things I should practice whilst playing the songs, or anything else you can think of that will help me?

Thanks for any help

2. Try to analyse the note choices used for the chords and how they all lead in to each other.

This will give you ideas to use if you ever need to play off a chart.

Especially take note of how he used chromatic motions.

If you are playing whats going on well then you are doing pretty good IMO.

3. Learn to play the songs note for note, then begin to incorperate (sp?) your style into the songs.

I never use the CD's anymore. Just read the sheet music and play to a 'nome. Also, use "Igor's Chromatic Exercise". I found it makes a good warm up.

4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Try getting your hands on the original recording and play along with that.

5. What's this?

6. Igor's Chromatic is jamerson's warmup exercise. It moves through the cycle of fourths in a chromatic motion in a manner that allows you to stay in the open position.