Standing in the shadow of...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by avi, Nov 2, 2021.

1. avi

avi Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Went to Detroit with my daughter for hockey. Realized I was 10 minutes away from Hitsville and had to go. I was bummed that it wasn't open but couldn't not go!! Next time... IMG_20211030_142021_135.jpg 20211030_123808(0).jpg

droo46, Artman, nixdad and 20 others like this.
  2. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I was told at the Hertz rental car place that it someplace I didnt want to be.

Artman and BluesWalker like this.
  3. avi

avi Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Well.....
    It was morning. I didn't have any problems but I was there for about 10 min. There was a funeral parlor next door that was getting ready for services.
    That could be said about a lot of places in Detroit. It's about a block from the Henry Ford hospital which is a mammoth complex. Not going to lie, I went through some neighborhoods but thats life in the rust belt these days unfortunately. I live in a rust belt city and we haven't been hit as hard as Detroit but our steel/grain mills and factories closed up too.

IamGroot and Artman like this.
  4. avi

avi Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Btw Axisnight. Verizon has a Standing in the shadows doc on this week. Caught it last nigbt. Great stuff.

nixdad likes this.
  5. dangevans

dangevans Guest

Mar 26, 2014
    I was there about 20 years ago. You get to walk right down into the "snake pit", where they recorded everything. Well, at least the really good stuff before they moved to LA and the company just wasn't the same anymore. :)
    I assume you still get to go into the studio still. Should be on every bass player's bucket list, and even any serious musician's bucket list. People do not realize how much Motown influenced just about every music genre.

IamGroot, Artman and Hurricane Jimmie like this.
  6. avi

avi Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Axis TV. Sorry. It was early when I typed that

7. avi

avi Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Agree. I was really hoping to be able to experience that room. I'm sure I will get a chance. Still pretty amazing just to see where all that amazing music came from. Whether you know it or not it probably has influenced you and your playing.

8. Hurricane Jimmie

Hurricane Jimmie Supporting Member

So Anyway, went there about 20 years ago.
    There's a lot of displays. I was probably there for a couple of hours. Defiantly worth the time and admission.
    Standing in The Pit where it all happened was really cool.

On the same trip (via motorcycle), I went to Sun, Stax and Reverend Al Green's Church in Memphis, The Ryman in Nashville, R&R HOF in Cleveland, and Chess in Chicago.
    A junkie stole the helmet & bag off my motorcycle at Stax...and I ended up buying it back from him. Cost me $40...made for a great story.

Joshua, viper4000 and Artman like this.
  9. avi

avi Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2017
    That is an awesome story and sounds like an amazing trip

Hurricane Jimmie likes this.
  10. dangevans

dangevans Guest

Mar 26, 2014
    Nice! LOL

I really want to go down to the musicians hall of fame in Nashville someday. Not necessarily the place the actual tunes were made, but they have a lot of instruments used by studio musicians on numerous hits. Joe Osborn's bass is there- that is the holy grail for me, until they recover (if they ever will) the "Funk Machine"!

Hurricane Jimmie, Artman and avi like this.
  11. Hurricane Jimmie

Hurricane Jimmie Supporting Member

Yeah, my 'Pilgrimage' was to stand in the spaces where the music happened. Next time I'm in Nashville, I'll hit the MHOF, Studio B, and try to catch Chris Scruggs & Kenny Vaughn somewhere.
    And don't forget forget to check out The Timejumpers on Monday night!

avi likes this.
  12. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    So cool. Hopefully, they'll be open the next time. So much musical history happened there.

avi likes this.