Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Standing In The Shadows of Motown (Deluxe Edition)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by scatman, May 15, 2004.

1. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    A must have! includes tracks minus the vocals. Stunning, when you don't hear vocals on them. The fonk really comes out (like it didn't come out before, right?).

2. One of the movies I haven't seen yet - thanks for reminding me! :)

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I am indifferent about that movie, not bad, but not great. Kind of boring to me.

4. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    I'm going to assume that you probably didn't really grasp what it was you were seeing or hearing. Having grown up on Motown music, I darn near wept at feeling the heartbreak for these guys.

Your profile says that your a big Metal guy so I'm thinking R&B isn't your thing anyway. Do yourself a favor, go do a lot of quiet reading and and listening of all the Motown material you can, then watch and listen to the movie again. Listen to the stories these artist tell; how can you not be moved man??? You can only be bored If the music means nothing to you. This movie is a VERY special peek into the greatest hit machine that ever recorded. I have the DVD and value it as does anyone else who knows and loves this music.

I wish you the best in discovering Motown my friend.

Peace,

KT

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Ken-
    ...I agree 100%.

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Treena,

That's really sad! I guess it's another case of "always read the small print"!

Wulf

7. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    On the face of it this may look bad...but do the math. If in fact, the Funk Bros. signed an exclusive management contract, well...a contract is a contract and you've got to pay your management. They (Rimshot) are looking to recover $30,000 of about $1,000,000 earned by the group. That's 3% folks. Standard management percentage is 15. I wouldn't say that Rimshot is trying to put the screws to these cats.

Also, it seems that there is some confusion over whether or not the Bros. fired Rimshot, and when. The fact that they could fire them before the contract expired doesn't seem to be disputed.

This may be a bit messy and uncool, but I don't think you can dispute the fact that, were it not for Slutsky and Rimshot, the (surviving) Funk Bros. would still be without well-deserved recognition and money. They certainly got much more from the efforts of Slutsky et al than they ever got from Berry Gordy and Motown.

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'm saying it's sad that the situation has come to litigation. I've got tremendous respect for the musical contributions made by both the Funk Bros. and Slutsky. Brother, brother, what's goin' on...

Wulf

9. If you're talking about the book with the CDs in it, it's cool. I like how the bass is seperated on the stereo. But it's not the actual Motown tracks.

10. The DVD is one of my prized possesions. I was certainly moved by it, but that's not to say that I expect that everyone should react similarly to the movie/story. It's much easier to be drawn into it (emotionally) if you actually "lived it". Motown and the Funk Bros, were happening at the time in my life when these things made an impression.

11. Well said XavierG, I'm in the same place about the Funk Brothers, I recall them referred to as 'those Motown guys'. I have the DVD, The Best of the Funk Brothers CD and both versions of the Soundtrack and I especially appreciate the tracks with out vocals because it is much easier to concentrate on Jamerson and the interplay of the musicians. Hearing those powerful tracks reminds me of a line from the movie, those songs would have been a hit even with dogs barking. We can only hope that the Karoke Bars don't find those tracks.

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    SITSOM is one of the only movies I've been able to buy without having seen it. And I don't regret that purchase even in the slightest, quite the contrary, it's one of my favorites DVDs.

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hmm. I don't know if I'll get a new DVD, after all, mine is signed by the Funk Brothers.

:) :D

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

I saw this post coming from a mile away :p

15. musicbassface

musicbassface

May 27, 2004
    is this deluxe thing a dvd?

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I believe it's a CD.

17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I just didn't care for it, simple as that. I grasped it, and wasn't as moved as you obviously were.

Also I enjoy lots of music; when I joined TB I listed mainly Metal, but I have been branching out. My favorite styles are Classic Rock, Metal, and weird hard to classify stuff like Primus, Pink Floyd, and the Flaming Lips. Some of my favorite bands currently are: The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Traffic, Rage Against the Machine, and Rush.

Also, greatest is your opinion. Sure, the Funk Brothers played on more hit records, but I'll take the Beatles, Beach Boys, Rolling Stones, and Elvis over the music they played on anyday.

Sorry if your feathers got ruffled, that wasn't my intention.

18. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I think it isn't so much saying that Motown is better than those other bands/acts, but to recognize what exactly they accomplished, how prolific their work. Just as the Beatles were viewed as prolific, so should the Funk Brothers, and while all these years, all these decades John, Ringo, George and Paul and Keith and Mick and Elvis and all of them have received kudos over a billion times over a billion, Jamerson hasn't. Earl Van Dyke hasn't. Benny Benjamin hasn't. Imagine, it's easy if you try, that the Beatles never got their due.

Kind of interesting too that two of those bands you mentioned, The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, played several Motown covers and acknowledge being heavily influenced by Jamerson and all the rest of Motown.