Standing in the Shadows of Motown. Get it!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by RyanHelms, Nov 14, 2003.

1. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    This DVD is a must have. I realize it's not bass specific, but the story to be told here really came about specifically over the late great James Jamerson, and grew to include all the rest of Motown's Studio "A" luminaries. Not only is the almost two hour film done in a cool documentary stlye, the re-united Funk Brothers (the studio band behind ALL of Motown's greatest hits) performance is included in it's entirety as an extra. Bob Babbit's P-bass is thunder and earthquakes on this! The audio is amazingly clear. If you're into Motown at all (or R&B, jazz, or just right-on music for that matter) and the patented James Jamerson Motown bassline, you gotta get ahold of this. A real eye (and ear) opener.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Great movie! My most prized DVD. I need to watch it again tomorrow.
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Don't stop at the dvd, you must also get the book! It comes with cd's of current bassplayers playing older motown basslines. A must have for any serious bassplayer. Aka the Bible!
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I just got the DVD and watched it for the first time.

I appreciate West Grand Blvd. (jazzbo's new gig) even more now.
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Standing in the Shadows of Motown? Jamerson?

That sounds familiar.
  6. Got it, for $12, two days after it came out.
  7. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    This DVD movie is is a "must have". You should also buy Slutsky's "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" book and CD set with all the great bassplayers doing Jamerson lines on their respective basses (Pattitucci, Entwhistle, Bruce, East, Rocco, Veasley, Haslip, Miller, Hungate, etc.) Great interviews with them, and transcriptions of all the signature Jamerson basslines.

Caution - Please be advised that listening to this material is highly conducive to you going out and buying a P Bass and putting flatwounds on it.

8. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Should I mention that the Funk Brothers autographed my copy of the DVD?

Yes, yes. I'll go ahead and mention that.

The Funk Brothers autographed my copy of the DVD.
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999

What is the "Motown sound"?
  10. I saw the doc on VHS, before I bought a DVD player. I would be interested in buying the DVD if it had more music. Does the DVD feature the whole concert too? How are the jam sessions from a musical standpoint?