1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Standing in the shadows of motown, the movie..

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by D.Don, Sep 27, 2008.

1. For those of you who still haven't seen it, go get it NOW!

Tonight was the first time I saw it, and man I am all stunned, what a band and what a bunch of guys there!!

Just had to....

D.Don

2. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    great tunes and band..so musical
    Mark

3. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    I thought all bass players were required to own that, once it became available on DVD...the bass in the intro is AWESOME....by Mr. Pino Palladino himself, as a tribute to JJ.

4. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    You are correct, ownership is required. :D

One of the most amazing and touching stories I've ever seen or heard. I love the intro / tribute for JJ at the reunion concert. "The greatest bass player of all times..."

Amen.

-Mark

5. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    everytime I need an as...butt-whipping to practice more, I put that movie on.

6. j.a.e.r.i.p

j.a.e.r.i.p

Apr 8, 2007
    I own it, AND have it on my ipod too

7. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I own the DVD.
    If only I could find it. [oh wait, I might have it at work.]

The DVD is absolutely a must have for any bass player.

So is the book+CD.

One unexpected surprise for me on that DVD. I always knew Joan Osbourne was a good singer, but I didn't realize how good until that DVD. She really knocks it out of the park.

Back to SITSOM, and most important, King Jamerson:
    Every bass player Must listen to some of the Motown songs
    with the bass part solo'd. You Will be Amazed.

8. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    While I was at work (a cashier at a farm retail place) I saw it in the DVD form. After my shift I scoured the isle with the movies and couldn't find it. It was $12 and at the time I didn't know what it was, but saw the cover.

9. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Chakas version of "what's goin on" with Babbit drillin James vibe is worth it alone. Her phrasing is sooooo f%#@n fresh.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    aw, hell yeah!!

i freaked out on that along in the theater..

11. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    The thing that left my jaw hanging was Jack Ashford on the tambourine. How does a person do that with a tambourine? It's amazing.

KO

12. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Amazing movie! I loved it.

13. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    Shoot. She knocked it out of the park. Went and got it. Brought it back and knocked it out again. Just cuz she could.

This clip chokes me up every time I watch it. This used to be pop music, y'all. Unadultrated talent.

14. I am obligated to put the usual Bob Babitt is incredible post here.
    I own the DVD and have owned it since it's release AND the book, AND I have it on my Zune :)

15. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Just compare the pipes of Joan Osbourne to all the singer-posers who pretended to sing at the last VMAs. What a joke. Someone needs to have the courage to tell all those people - hey, wait a minute, you shouldn't be singing in public. :)

Joan Osbourne is the Real deal - in a very big way.

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled SITSOM programming. :)

When is someone ever going to make a movie about James Jamerson?

16. Dave R

Dave R

Sep 21, 2007
    Boise, ID USA
    Standing....Motown is largely about Jamerson. Closest thing there is to a Jamerson tribute as of now.

And defintely required.

17. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    If you read the book, you'll learn that it was hard enough to do that. Jamerson didn't do many interviews, and his history isn't documented all that much other than the music. Even the book is largely others relating the story of working with James, and is more of a Hit Factory history than a Jamerson tribute. It's very clear, though, that Jamerson became the heart of Motown. There were dozens of songs (at the very least) that Jamerson was given first crack at. Wherever he took the song was where the rest of the musicians followed. Producers let him have free reign.

18. I've probably watched this movie two dozen times, and by next year that count will have increased. Talk about pure inspiration. From Andre Braugher's narration, to Chaka (just damn), to Bootsy doing his thing, to Bob Babbitt and Me'Shell talking one-on-one, there are too many highlights to list!

19. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I think it's a must have for anybody in a band situation.It's amazing what you can acomplish when there is nobody in the band with the "it's all about me" syndrome.Great musicians that knew what it meant to work together.

20. I've got to throw this one in here.......some footage with Bongo Eddie and King Jamerson......

SITSOM was a stunning wake up call about the best group of musicians ever assembled.