1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

standing in the shadows of motown

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by mijust, Mar 9, 2008.

1. mijust

mijust

Oct 31, 2006
    Is this book a good learning tool.

2. j.a.e.r.i.p

j.a.e.r.i.p

Apr 8, 2007
    yes

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    done and done!

4. I love that book. It's got a well-written bio of Jamerson, transcriptions that range from easy to very difficult, and the two CDs are very fun to listen to.

Be aware that there's only bass clef, no tab.

5. eeyorebass

eeyorebass

Jan 2, 2008
    It's a great book. Highly recommended.

jeremy

6. I learned a lot from this book when it first came out. Mine came with cassettes. Good stuff.

7. mijust

mijust

Oct 31, 2006
    Thanks to all, just ordered it from amazon, should get here this week.

8. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    and dont forget to watch the movie....very inspiring Americana.

Lownote38 likes this.
  9. Scot

Scot

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    You won't be disappointed. I got my old copy with the cassette tapes and it's one of the best, if not THE best bass study book I own.

10. It's extremely valuable. Be sure to watch the movie too. It's amazing.

11. Ten Four One

Ten Four One

Dec 5, 2006
    Excellent book, I get something new from it every time I pick it up.

Also recommended - the What Duck Done book & the James Brown book my Slutsky.

12. play4zero

play4zero

Dec 29, 2005
    Edorsing Artist: Eden
    Advise that you get a knowledgeable instructor to help you through.

13. mijust

mijust

Oct 31, 2006
    MarkTAW , I also ordered, The Funkmasters-the Great James Brown Rhythm Sections by Slutsky along with Standing in the shawdows of Motown.

Play4zero, I do have a great instructor thats going to help me, been with him for a couple of years now. I was hoping that the books would arrive today, but they didn't. When they do come in, you wont see me here at TB for a while. I'll be practicing.

Thanks to all again

14. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Great book you'll learn great bass lines. Analyze the notes and rhythms for creating your own lines and start to get idea how Jamerson thought (keep in mind he played DB first.) Great tool for learning to read syncopated rhythms. Also a challenge to find good fingerings for reading/playing the lines. Focus on getting the feel right for the tunes. This book should be required study for anyone wanting to play bass.

15. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Very good for reading and study of Jamersons style. The bio part is also very good.
    Some of the recorded music is pretty dull (drum machines etc)...so its not that fun to play along. Its also irritating that Aint no mountain..is out of tune :) Anyway i can absolutely recomend it!

16. nathanmiller

nathanmiller

Apr 1, 2016
    Australia
    I'll bump this thread instead of creating another SISOM thread.

I recently got myself a copy of the CD version of the book. The only bad things things about the book I can find is that it had some printing errors, there was an errata sheet in the bio section, the CD titles were mistakenly mixed up with the 2002 movie soundtrack disk, and the page on Jamerson's death was repeated early.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book, I would recommend the book for the biography of James Jamerson alone, as it seems most people just buy it for the transcriptions. One thing that stood out to me was that it read like it was a story about someone who had Aspergers or on the "autism spectrum", although it did document unrelated issues after his move to LA. Strange how no one else noticed this. That's just what came across to me.