Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Standing In The Shadows of Motown

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Dimin, May 2, 2002.

1. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The new documentary film Standing In The Shadows of Motown is having it premier screening at the Tribeca Film Festival in NYC on May 11th at 7:30 pm.

It would be great if any TB'ers would like to get together before the show. Perhaps we can pick a place and all go to dinner or something.

Hope to see you there.

Mike Dimin

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    OH, how I wish I was in NY right now. There is a good possibility that my girlfriend (born and raised in NY) and I will be moving up there in the next year, or so, though. Maybe I'll be able to get dinner with you guys before the premiere of The Michael Dimin Story. :D

3. Mike, sounds like a good idea. I can't commit today, but, probably by about Tuesday, May 7th.
    I'll let you know.

Come on all you NYC and Tri-State T/Bers, let's try to hook up.

Mike J.

4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    More likely than not, I'll be there.

5. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    if i can make it i'll go. can't confirm either way yet though, sorry.

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I just got my tix at ticketmaster. They had about 150 general admission left.

If anyone decides to go, let us use this forum to see if we can determine a meeting place.

Mike

7. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    What's up with Carol Kaye taking credit for playing bass on songs that Jamerson played on. There's a good article on the standing in the shadows of motown site about it.

8. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    How the heck would one go about getting the book of the same name as this thread?

9. The discussion you refer to is not on the "Standing in the Shadow of Motown" website. It is on the Bassland.net site and is an independent account by Jamerson's biographer Bob Lee.

10. Hey Mike, how was the movie? I'm sorry I didn't get to go but, family stuff came up. Hopefully the next time there's a chance for Tri-State TBers to get together I'll be able to make it.

Review, review!

Mike J.