Standing in the Shadows of Motown

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rustyshakelford, Oct 17, 2002.

1. rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    I just heard a cut from this album on the radio; it was great.

Here in Austin, we are having a film festival. One of the films showing is a documentary: Standing in the Shadows of Motown. The film is about the motown studio musicians.

Some of the musicians were on a local morning show this morning promoting the movie; as well they will perform after the screening. Wow.

Anyhoo, there is a new live CD accompanying the movie. The cd is a collection of covers with new singers: Ben Harper, Meshell Ndege Ocello, et al.

I heard the Ben Harper track; it was great. The horns, guitar, drums were great.

I was tempted top call in and ask about the Carol Kaye controversy.

2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Where are they showing the film in Austin?

brad cook
  3. rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    I think at the Paramount (7th and Congress);
    they frequently debut movies there,
    there would be room for a musical act,
    musical acts have played there before.

If you care to go, you could check times, etc., either at paramount's or chronicle's web site.

Take care,

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I picked that C.D. up a couple weeks back...great stuff! Bob Babbit plays on most of it and a couple tracks with Jamerson, including a instrumental version of 'Bernadette' that shows just how much of a badass Jamerson was!................and no Carol Kaye:D I've said this before.....but IMHO Bob Babbitt captured the essence of Jamerson's style more than any of the other bassist in the Motown stable.........including ones one the west coast;)