Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Standing in the Shadows of the L2000 (G & L SB-1).

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blackbird, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I just checked out one of these out of curiosity at a pawn shop and I must say I thought it sounded great. I think it's a great sounding bass and I wonder why it's not seen more often. I guess it's not radical enough a departure from the Fender design for people to take notice, but it's definitely one of the unsung great basses out there. Thoughts?

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Any second opinions?

4. I agree with you Big wheel. All of the G&L I've played has been great. Including some of the 5 strings.

It's weird why has only the L2000 been widely heard than the other models. I thought the other models sounded better then their competitors in many cases. Maybe not enough publicity.

5. Yeah, All G&L's Rock!!!:D

Honestly I have only come accross one that I did not like, a guy i know had an L-2500 with a sloppy B-string. My L-2500 is awesome!!!!

6. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I love my L2000. I also like the fact that they are underrated as it keeps the prices down on the used market and keeps it as more of a unique bass.

-KB

7. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Hey KB - glad you're liking the L2000. I miss it in that it was my first G&L and I bought it new. But the #6 neck on my current L2000 is perfect for me.

Big Wheel - I just picked up a used SB-2 (same as the SB-1 but with an added J pickup at the bridge). I'm really liking it and am waiting until I get it all set up and will do a head-to-head with it and my L2000.

I had an SB-1 for a while previously and did not like that one very much. My thoughts:
    • SB stands for "student bass" and some people know that and are put off by it (they are made to the same standards as the rest of the G&Ls so it's a misnomer - I think G&L sold them at a loss for a while from what I inferred from some info on the G&LDP)
    • Some of the older ones were made with maple bodies (I think my first one was) which can make them very bright. I know I did not like that one nearly as much as my current SB-2 which appears to be alder
    • They don't sound exactly like a Fender P, the MFD pickup is hotter with more highs (that's why G&L tried the Legacy/LB-100 for while, to offer something that sounded like a vintage P)
    • G&L just isn't very well known (probably the biggest thing)
    Just one guy's thoughts. I really like my new SB-2 and love the #6/jazz-width neck on it. I also love my L2000. I think the L2000 appeals to the person who wants lots of tonal flexibility. The SB appeals to someone who likes how it sounds - but a Fender P would probably appeal to the same people and have more name recognition and acceptance.

Like KB said, it's OK by me because I can pick up used G&Ls for a lot less than a used Fender.