standing in the shadows

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by steve2, Mar 31, 2002.

1. steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    About a week ago someone suggested the book Standing in the shadows of Motown. The book on James Jamerson. The book is awsome. Even though I consider myself in the lower part of the intermediate catagory and I cant read music very well which is the form that the book is in. I still think it is awsome a must for any Jamerson Fan. I learned my first song which was kind of simple, Still Waters. My next is Marvin Gaye's whats going on. Thanks for the suggestion.

2. slade

Apr 5, 2001
    That's the best book I've owned- it can't be beat!
    Endless lessons- the guy could do it all!
  3. Steve:

I just received this book in the mail yesterday. It is an excellent book. I think I am the one who it was recommended, regarding the post that made you buy it.

I haven't read through all of it yet...but it looks like the songs are in no particular order.
  4. I want to keep this thread for anyone who has this book and would like to help me learn the songs. I recieved the book in the mail yesterday.

My first question: Which songs should I start off with first? It really doesn't matter to me. But give me what you think are easiest for beginner-intermediate level songs to learn. I will pick one based on what you recommend. Thanks.
  5. I forget which song it is but I would start with the one Geddy Lee plays on. Probally be a great starting point.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I bought this book and love it - but I lost it to my girlfriend who loves all the tunes and is using the CDs for like.. Karaoke! ;)
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

How many threads on this have we got now - I've read about 3 in a few minutes!

Can't we get them all in one?
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That would be "Get Ready"...possibly the 'easiest' line in the book(straight 1/8th note feel; it 'Rocks').

I had already played or attempted to play "What's Goin' On" & "I Was Made To Love Her"(love that 4-bar bass break)in bands pre-the book.

As far the book goes-
    I think I started with "How Sweet It Is"(a shuffle) & then "I Heard It Through The Grapevine"(a whole lotta R&B-ish Funk).
    In addition to the obvious ones("Darling Dear", "Home Cooking", "For Once In My Life", "Bernadette", etc)-
    I also like "Roadrunner", "Shake Me, Wake Me", & the Temptation-Funk of "I Know I'm Losing You" & "Ball Of Confusion".
    "Uptight" is also happenin'.

That Supremes' tune in 6/8 is also killer...

Damn, they're all great! ;)
  9. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    If you're a beginner, I might advise to stay away from Home Cookin', Bernadette and Darling Dear for now.

For beginning, I like: Ain't Too Proud to Beg and Going to a Go-Go.
  10. bcarll

Oct 16, 2001
    Is the Jamerson book a biography or just what is it? Sounds like you get a CD with it or not. Might help me and maybe others if you told us just what the book is all about. Motown is some great music! Thanks!

11. bcarll-

It has some biographical info/history in it, and some transcriptions of his basslines. The CD has these same tunes as played by a variety of familiar bassists.
  12. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    some good ones if you cant read very well imo are

igors chromatic exercise

uptight (every things alright)

aint to proud to beg

just to name a few.

I love this book, and thanks for reminding me i have to bring it back to the library