standing on bass help

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by Entwistle, Apr 21, 2007.

1. hi all.
    ive never stood on my bass before coz i get one foot on then im scared of breaking it so.. but has anyone here done like a guide to it or does anything have to be done so it dosent break? i dont know much bout it but ive seen it heaps.

thankyou

2. Listen to the voice of reason...your fear.

3. ?? you mean just do it?

4. bluegrasscat

bluegrasscat

Aug 9, 2006
    SoCal
    i would like to see a youtube video of someones foot going through the side of a bass or the bass just spitting apart! that would have to be some serious damage!! ouch maybe not!!

i think bass4daddy's words are from wisdom!!

5. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Just do it! What could possibly go wrong?

6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    All you need to do is attach one of these to the lower part of each C-bout and you're all set! :)

7. Then you might as well just slap one of these on the back of it

8. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Fog lights in the f-holes?

9. Maybe some mudflaps coming off the lower bouts, with the naked lady silhouette.

10. Like this??????
    m_eed605c71bb270e0d1a4c9febe734d36.png

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    OUCH...

Johnny Atomic... now that sounds like a guy that knows a thing or two about standing on a bass.

12. I have someone do my bass standing for me.

m_2ffeeca3b5e5bafd9a8649c6b153076c.png

13. Allll Rightttt Johnny A. :D :p :D ! That is most excellent !

14. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Hmm... she seems nice....

I really have to play me some rockabilly. :eek:

15. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    That gives new meaning to the term "Cat House".

16. I stand on mine all the time. It's really easy. lean the bass into position, resting on the side of the endpin. Keep your endpin out only one or two notches as not to put to much force on the endblock. Put RH foot on lower bout. Once your in position and all of your weight is on your RH foot keeping the bass stable just raise your LH leg up and place your foot on the upper bout. If you start to loose your balance when placing your foot on the upper bout you can quickly place you foot back on the ground. I try to wear chucks or some other soft soled shoe as not to put a hole in the side.

Attached Files:

17. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    So kylierider, mon, is your bass reinforced in any way or are you playing it just the way God made it? If you think about all your body weight PLUS the pulling you must be doing on the neck, I'm thinking you got yourself one well-made tank of a bass there. And a lot of faith in glue!

18. Nope...It's stock, just the way God made it. 1976 Engelhardt. I weigh in at around 175 or 180 pounds. Knock on wood it's held together well.

19. Classic!!!! thats great, Made my day.

I apologize if I was being a little snobby towards the idea of standing on the bass, but to me its just showy and a risk I'm not willing to take plus, it just doesnt look that cool when you see a guy riding his bass in the middle of a Jazz ballad or in an orchestra section. But it seems like its safe enough and fits your music styles.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021