Standing or Sitting while practising?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Dave1974, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Dave1974

Dave1974

Dec 21, 2012
    I much prefer to stand, just curious what does everybody else do.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  2. Howlin' Hanson

Howlin' Hanson Lighter cabs, please.

Sep 3, 2007
    Austin TX
    Practice? Depends upon how much breath support for singing I need. Backgrounds, I will sit at practice. Leads, I'm up.

At 68, I don't feel guilty to sit.

And I stand at gigs. Except last year when I broke my foot.

EatS1stBassist, Sixgunn, JRA and 4 others like this.
  3. bass4more

bass4more Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Oakland, CA
    Practice, sit. Rehearsal, stand.

4. I stand most of the day at work so I sit every chance I can.

I also play DB so I only stand when playing that.

Jimks likes this.
  5. twelvetrombones

twelvetrombones Martian Ambassador Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Both.

Edit: Not at the same time obviously.

6. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    I sit when I practice but on a good quality drum throne with decent posture (most of the time)

btmpancake, Dabndug and gebass6 like this.
  7. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    I have my strap adjusted so that my bass is in the same position sitting and standing. When sitting, my bass is naturally in "classical guitar" position, on my left thigh rather than my right. I find that this makes it easier to transition between sitting and standing, for me. I do tend to sit more when practicing individually at home. In rehearsals it's a mix: mostly standing, but I'll sit for a while if the rehearsal is long.

8. I stand at rehearsals, and sit at home. Sometimes I'll stand at home, but since I'm on my feet all day long at work I'd rather sit.

pcake likes this.
  9. filmtex

filmtex

May 29, 2011
    ^This. Always.

back4more, RichardW, JeffC23 and 2 others like this.
  10. I really depends on the mood; halfway through a song I'll either get up and walk around aimlessly or sit down. Either way.

11. Practice I sit. Show time I stand until my hips tell me it's time to sit. I have a tall stool that I can back up to and take a load off.

EatS1stBassist, OOD and Fat Freddy like this.
  12. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I generally sit when I'm practicing. However, when I'm working on new songs where I'll be both playing and singing (lead or harmony/backup), I set up a mic on a stand and I play standing up at the mic so it's more "realistic". I'll do that until I can more or less go on autopilot, at which point it's back to the chair.

EatS1stBassist, JeffC23 and BEADG63 like this.
  13. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Sit all the time, because my main gigs are seated (big band, coffee house gigs). If I need to play standing up it's usually not the toughest of materials and I don't need to read off a chart.

14. I can't stand to practice. :roflmao:

15. BEADG63

BEADG63 Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Amherst, NY
    ^^^This^^^ I do a fair amount of lead vocals and harmonies on almost all the others, so until I learn 'em well...

16. AztecViking

AztecViking Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    Not comfortable ever sitting and playing. For myself it would be like playing baseball and sitting while at bat.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  17. Charlzm

Charlzm Guest

Mar 25, 2011
    Stand when really practicing, sit while noodling.

My strap is situated so that the bass hangs in the same spot standing as it does when sitting "classical style". I get very close to the same left and right hand and wrist angles whether sitting or standing.

Like this guy, but without the footrest.
    classical_sitting_position.png

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  18. I'm 73 and I sit all the time. The rest of our band is about the same age and they sit too. No one has complained yet, but then we're not "cool young dudes (or dudettes)," either.

19. Gbais

Gbais

Oct 19, 2017
    7EA3FF39-559C-4232-A205-E92E34021273.jpeg A4D9025A-0630-4F47-A5B2-57109886304D.jpeg 7E697E5B-61DD-4CCF-B979-168B980FFA7C.jpeg Like to practice standing up so I can move around, but will sit when I want to relax. Sir Paul practicing with both.

20. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    Practice the way you are going to play at the gig. If you stand at the gig, stand when you practice. I feel this is even more important if your bass sits on you differently from when you are standing or sitting.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022