Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

standing/sitting

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Cat, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    since i've never been in a band, i've spent all my time practicing bass sitting down. when i occasionally play standing up with my strap i find it much harder to play because i can't look directly at the frets and my hands are in different positions them im used to. is there a good way to handle practicing in both positions so it doesn't feel as ackward?

2. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Shorten your strap so your hands are pretty much in the same position as when you're sitting, and if you need the visuals, stand in front of a big mirror while you're practicing - you can keep an eye on the frets, and make metal faces as needed.

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Adjust your strap so the bass sits at the same height when you're sitting or standing. Also, practice more standing up, you'll get used to it. Spend some of your practice time playing without looking at your hands, get used to the feel of the instrument.

4. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    i dont usually wear a strap while sitting but i'll try that, thanks.

5. You will have to fiddle around with the strap a bit to find the most comfortable height for your body.
    Once you start practicing standing it gets much easier.

Besdides,nothing makes you feel like a rock star like playing standing up! wooohooo :D

6. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Man, what a great comic that was! Nice sig!

7. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Sup Mule!

I can really imagine you rockin out infront of the mirro man ;O

/lovebown