stands and stress on neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tranceFusion, Jul 7, 2008.

1. is one type of stand better than another for stress on the instrument?

I would like to get one of those racks where the instruments lean sideways, but since they are not quite as popular I am wondering if it will do more damage than leaning backwards..

what is the safest way to store them? wall mounts?

2. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Stands, wall mounts, cases are all good. Don't worry,

3. zero issue

4. BassLand

BassLand

Mar 20, 2000
    Lost Angeles
    Properly tuned strings have 90+ pounds (5 string and up) of tension on the neck. The effect of the amount of weight of the bass when most of it is supported by the bottom of the stand is not an issue if the instrument is in good shape.

5. 90+ ...no...
    more like 140+ and that's for a 34" four string...add another 30+ for a 5-banger

your point is spot on...

6. BassLand

BassLand

Mar 20, 2000
    Lost Angeles
    The lightest gage string I know of is the Thomastic which I do believe is about 90 lbs and what I ment to say was 5 strings go up from there. Yes a medium gage is more like the 140 lbs. you mentioned. Thanks for the heads up on what I posted

7. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    No problem.

8. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Right now my (2) cheapie basses are leaning against a wall. Or, I lay one on the floor.

It's a sin, I know...I think I'm just going to go for wall mounts after I get settled (I'm getting ready to move out of state.)

I picked up a TKL hardshell case today but I'm going to take it back. Unfortunately, when closed, the top of the case pushes down on the headstock enough that it lifts the body end up. That can't be good for the neck.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021