1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Standy-uppy pedalboard is a game changer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ThinCrappyTone, Dec 28, 2017.

1. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    5B8A4500-A81E-40B5-BC67-21E4D82D6561. I recently read an article where Andy Summers said “
    What I do is I sit right over a little table, which is like the pedal table, trying to find new sounds on the guitar. I like to be right up with them so I can tweak them, move them around. I'm very hands–on. That way I feel like it's drawing with a pencil. I know the process. They're not way down there on the floor or whatever.

The real creative part of the process is being up close with them. I feel like I'm connected with it all. I mean, it is sort of bizarre, but I'm trying to figure out, “Why didn't I do this years ago?”

Since I mostly just record and experiment these days, having a mobile board is not a priority. So I tried putting them up high to see... and wow! It’s really made a big difference in workflow and fun.

Find myself experimenting with long neglected pedals, using combinations and settings I never would have had the patience to create while hunched over. Very fun and creatively inspiring.

Just wanted to share my experience and encourage ya to give it a try!

rtav, Dave W, Basshappi and 46 others like this.
  2. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Cool, and congratulations!

One of my oldest friends, a raging multi-instrumentalist, but self-described bass guitarist, he's been doing this for many years. He keeps some pedals up on a long desk or counter, others on the floor, all of them scattered in "strategic" locations to enable his workflow. (I still don't know what that workflow is, but it sounds great.)

Happy Tweaking New Year. :thumbsup:

Pbassmanca and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Moves like the ninja to step on those top row stomp switches! :eek::woot::roflmao:

4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Every time I see an OCD pedal I have the urge to change the settings :D

Ghode, Loring, LM Bass and 23 others like this.
  5. ThinCrappyTone

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thank you! You as well!

Snaxster likes this.
  6. ThinCrappyTone

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Ok I really did laugh out loud at that!

Loring, Pbassmanca and charlie monroe like this.
  7. ThinCrappyTone

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    oh man i’d break something for sure lol

bholder likes this.
  8. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    My pedals are sitting on a music stand similar to this. I like that setup though.

Is that a plasma lightning ball on top? Where's the lava lamp?

Spidey2112 and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  9. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Provider Supporting Member

Very nice, pretty much like a painter eyeball to eyeball with his canvas :).
    I bring my board home after every gig/practice and I've got some kind of mobile "pedestal" I put it on, so it's easy to move around, plus it brings it up to comfortable arm length when I'm sitting down. I don't experiment much, but it makes it easier to tweak. Lazyness is an art, I always say...

FenderB and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  10. ThinCrappyTone

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    yes indeed it is. Very importantant for tone! E8FDD737-3F81-48BD-9A4F-2E50268F5229.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    "If do right, no can uh defend...."
    giphy.

12. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    When I was young I thought it'd be cool to mod an amp and put one of those balls in it.
    Or better yet, find a really small one and rout out a hole and put it in a guitar!

Eventually I matured. ...A little.

Loring, JRA and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  13. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass Supporting Member

May 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Nice! I frequently use a dj laptop stand when I’m at home for the very same reason.

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  14. ThinCrappyTone

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    haaaaa!!!

15. ThinCrappyTone

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I’m glad one of us did! :laugh:

LowActionHero likes this.
  16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Actually, I have trained all my life, to be a stand-up guy... part of which included leaving the pedalboard on the floor, the controls manipulated by the digits, of both feet.

That's right, both... I learned from the best, too. Flatley... feet en fuego...

... at my peak, my feet would move so fast across my board, I had to remove pedals to make room for the fire extinguisher...

... the torture and conditioning I put my toes through enabled my calcified clodhoppers, to fling a frisbee 300 yards, so pressing a measly pedal switch, on the floor, was a trivial act, for me... if you happen upon me, barefoot... at a disc-golf course... just keep on walking...

17. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I do the same at home, my back thanks me. Mine is up on a table where I can easily get to it.

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  18. Yeah I mostly do at home recording and playing in my "studio" (LOL) I have all my pedals up in a desk with my recording interface and my laptop. Been doing this for a while now. It helped tremendously when I was doing some Compressor comparisons recently. I love it because I just can sit there and tweak and listed.

Adienn7 and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  19. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Good idea, OP. Def an ergonomic improvement over having to bend over to fiddle with boxes on the floor.

On gigs I'm mostly a straight-into-the-amp kinda guy, but I did put together a smallish-sized board with some toys (distortion, octaver), processors (compressor, HPF), and utility (strobe tuner). When I bring it to a gig I fetch a barstool and set the board on it alongside my amp stack. I like that much better than having it on the floor.

Of course, that's not so good if there's a gadget you need to switch on and off in the course of one tune. But when I use the board it's to get a particular sound for an entire tune--so turning around to push a button before and after the tune is best for my purposes.

ThinCrappyTone and Spidey2112 like this.
  20. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Y'all asked for it......what's the best plasma for metal?

equill, J_Bass and ThinCrappyTone like this.