1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stanford - Harvard Paper - most important invention for Luthier

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Mustafa Umut Sa, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Mustafa Umut Sa

Mustafa Umut Sa

Oct 20, 2007
    I think Stanford and Harvard work for 2 years , signifies the most important invention for luthiers.

I think with this invention you can get Bosendorfer sound or Guarneri sound from your guitar without using any electronics.

Paper puts the algorithm to design and get , any time AND frequency sound
    from laser cut metal flat plate piece when someone hit with an small object.

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~cxz/publications/metallophone.pdf

Now if we can design and have it cut with laser , flat, thin , metal piece which have the exact frequency spectrum and time output , CAN WE CUT METAL GUITAR BODY AS OUR IMPULSE RESPONSER AND DOES IT ACT AS ELECTRONIC IMPULSE RESPONSE BOX ?-

IMPULSE RESPONSE IS A SHORT RESPONSE OF A VIOLIN WHEN HIT WITH A SMALL HAMMER. WHEN YOU CREATE A ELECTRONIC CIRCUIT WITH IMPULSE RESPONSE RECORD , IT OUTPUTS THE ENTIRE VIOLIN SOUNDS. WHEN YOU CREATE AN NEW VIOLIN WITH 200 YEARS OLD IMPULSE RESPONSE , IT WOULD BE THE SAM
    E.

I am thinking to create a metal plate with bass strings which designed to give out the piano impulse response record and creates the entire piano sound .

But may be I understood everything wrong , come , help me .

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  2. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    I'd love to be able to comment, but I'll need to read and understand the paper first

3. Mustafa Umut Sa

Mustafa Umut Sa

Oct 20, 2007
    Problem , if we record a impulse response record in the a metal plate
    would this plate converted in to a impulse response filter ?

4. Christopher DBG

Christopher DBG Commercial User

May 18, 2015
    Westerly, RI
    Luthier/Owner, Christopher Bass Guitar
    An extremely quick read/skim sounds more like they are trying to make an object and control the way it vibrates so that when it is struck it produces a controlled tone like the bar on a marimba BUT instead of making it a regular old rectangle like a marimba bar, make any shape they want including giraffes. That's pretty much it from what I can tell.

Like a marimba bar of a certain size/weight, the object will still make only one particular "note". That note may be more or less complex with few or many different overtones (like a marimba vs. a triangle) but not meant to be a soundboard like on a guitar.

On a side note, universities are great places to spend lots of time and money trying to reverse engineer Stradivarius violins. They were the ones the convinced a lot of violin builders to tune their tops to certain notes for several decades before nearly all of them concluded it was a waste of time and that regular old luthier experience gave better results than science.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  5. Mustafa Umut Sa

Mustafa Umut Sa

Oct 20, 2007
    problem , the old luthier experience forgotten and it would take another century to learn it when these instruments turns in to unplayable. For example someone found that stradivari carved the interior after closed.
    And carved the exterior after closed the box. This is not butter smooth arch but like ding dong.
    Now they started to reinvent the role of all dings. It will take another 100 years with that speed.
    As gaudi said his customer has no time constraint.