Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stanley Clarke - 1,2 to the Bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by lbanks, Jul 11, 2005.

1. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I bought this last weekend. Its the first Stanley Clarke I bought since just before he hooked up with George Duke. I like this one. Almost all of the album was cool. I mean, the driest song, to me, was 'Where is the Love".( But if you played that sucker as much as I had, you'd hate it, too.) But, I did like "Hair". He didn't quite drop it like Graham, but he locked on a nice hard groove I felt a need to 'steal'. He hasn't hit me with one like that since "School Days". The upright solo "Touch" was deep. I still can't figure how he plays, even after seeing him play. Just listening to him made my joints ache. Good album overall. Even the rap tune was aight, once i listened to the words and stop focusing on the voice.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I thought this album was very very watered down. I've tried to sell it a few times, but nobody knows who Stanley Clarke is. :D

The Hair cover isn't bad like you said, but also like you said... it's not Graham, that's for damn sure. Touch... cool. I hated that "Where is the love" so much! It's one of the worst R&B songs I've ever heard.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    IMO-
    '"Where Is The Love" as recorded by Flack/Hathaway is one of the best R&B singles from the '70s.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've never heard the original so I can't judge. If there's one thing I hate though, it's a souless song about love... and this song (Clarke's) struck me as souless.

There is just something way too polished about this album. I mean, I listen to School Days and it feels like MUSIC!!! 1,2 sounds like... being in an elevator.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Can't disagree with you on that.

;)