1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stanley Clarke - 1,2 to the Bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by lbanks, Jul 11, 2005.

1. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I bought this last weekend. Its the first Stanley Clarke I bought since just before he hooked up with George Duke. I like this one. Almost all of the album was cool. I mean, the driest song, to me, was 'Where is the Love".( But if you played that sucker as much as I had, you'd hate it, too.) But, I did like "Hair". He didn't quite drop it like Graham, but he locked on a nice hard groove I felt a need to 'steal'. He hasn't hit me with one like that since "School Days". The upright solo "Touch" was deep. I still can't figure how he plays, even after seeing him play. Just listening to him made my joints ache. Good album overall. Even the rap tune was aight, once i listened to the words and stop focusing on the voice.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I thought this album was very very watered down. I've tried to sell it a few times, but nobody knows who Stanley Clarke is. :D

The Hair cover isn't bad like you said, but also like you said... it's not Graham, that's for damn sure. Touch... cool. I hated that "Where is the love" so much! It's one of the worst R&B songs I've ever heard.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    IMO-
    '"Where Is The Love" as recorded by Flack/Hathaway is one of the best R&B singles from the '70s.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've never heard the original so I can't judge. If there's one thing I hate though, it's a souless song about love... and this song (Clarke's) struck me as souless.

There is just something way too polished about this album. I mean, I listen to School Days and it feels like MUSIC!!! 1,2 sounds like... being in an elevator.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Can't disagree with you on that.

;)