Stanley Clarke - 1,2, to the bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Howard K, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Well, I just got this yesterday.

And I must say it seems as though Stanley's hardly updated his style since the late 70's really. Still just as cheesey!!! :)

The inclusion of ye olde rappers like QTip (still great tho) hardly brings it up to date in my book.

But that said it's a nice album - not TOO much bass, but a nice quantity of solo's and great lines. Some nice funky slap too, go Stanley!!

An other opinions?
  2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    When you refer to his "style" are you referring to the style of the music or his playing?

I have always been a huge fan of his personal "style", but i didn't really care much for the stuff he put out after Rocks, Pebbles and Sand.

I'd like to hear him go back to that 70s fusion sound, thus my question.
  3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Both really.

He still has those stupidly fast stacatto licks al over the shop - and the slap bass is definitley him, no mistake. in terms of the music, there's just that stanley clarke feel about it all, although the tunes do vary a lot - it's all very produced, clean sounding.

admittedly I'm not the hugest fan so am probably not the best judge. I dont know a great amount of his material - I have a greatest hits (the bas-ic collection), the clarke duke project - and i used to own a copy of school days and some of his older stuff a while back.

i wanted te hear the album because the bass player review sounded interetsing. and the album is certainly that imo. the more i listen the more i like it - but it is still undeiabley cheesey!
  4. I got it today and have literally just finished listening through it for the first time.

And I totally agree with Howard: cheesy is the right word. (And you know it as soon as you hear Q-Tip start rapping 'Listen to the bass, Stanley on the bass...')

I think "a nice jazz record" is pretty much what this album is, despite the words found in the booklet: 'Stanley has decided NOT to record "a nice jazz record".'

I'm thinking of taking it back to HMV and get it refunded. I dunno, I've got 6 CD's on which Stanley Clarke plays (including his solo stuff and the RTF stuff), I think that's enough...for now at least...
  5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Stanley was hyping this record as a back to bass & like old times record.........but I was really disappointed with it! Too much Gurly-Mon jazz for me;)
  6. I bought the album and i find it also cheesy but when I heard the double bass solo (touch) I was very happy of my buying and I transcibe the song.

p.s, I come from the double forum.
  7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    well i gave this album another load of listens since starting the thread, and i have tio sya it is still very very cheesy!

the high points, i think, are the opening track - nice groobve, anna - thsi oen just appeals to me... and probably that last db solo as mentioned above - that's just insane!

...but by gum is it cheesey!!