Stanley Clarke and the Allman Brothers

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Rev J, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I just read through the Berry Oakley Thread and all of the debate comparing Berry to Jaco and I remembered seeing this clip:

To me the combination of Stanley, Lenny White, and The Allman Brothers is just about face melting. I'm a huge Oteil Fan too.

C/S,
    Rev J

2. VintageBoutique

VintageBoutique Inactive

Dec 6, 2012
    He really should spin the filter knob back a quarter turn, at least.

3. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Give me Jemmott.

4. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    LOL! I haven't even listened to that clip yet but I know exactly what you're talking about!

5. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    Wow, maybe Stanley is going through an amp or a pre-amp that he's not used to, because he usually has a much better sound than that.

6. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I've never much cared for Stanly's electric bass tone. In fact I can recall when 'Return to Forever' came out marveling at his playing but just never warmed up to it like I did when I heard Jaco's first album. In hindsight I think part of it was Jaco's tone and his funk. I like him (Stanly) much better on upright.

7. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

There are three parts to Liz Reed. This is the third I realized after watching most of it. I was hoping for interplay with Stanley and Oteil. Oteil, and everyone else, were happy to lay back and let Stanley do his thing. Big smiles from Oteil. Of course Oteil did his thing after Stanley left. Cool seeing him on stage with the Allman Bros. I'll check out parts 1 and 2 this evening.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021