Stanley Clarke and Trio!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by skewh, Sep 21, 2005.

1. skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    I'm going to see Trio! at the Clearwater Jazz Festival. For those of you who don't know, Trio! consists of Stanley Clarke, Béla Fleck and Jean-Luc Ponty. I'm just interested in knowing what kind of stuff they will be playing, and if anybody has seen them as of late. Any input is appreciated, but if nobody replies I'll still be psyched to see Stanley! :hyper:
  2. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I have a recording of one of their shows, from the first week of the tour. Great stuff. They play some of their individual tunes, re arrranged to work with these instruments. Stanley plays upright exclusively. Then they play a few tunes they worked up just for this tour. The music is complex, but exquisite. Hopefully you have a quiet, respectful audience.

These guys can whip up an arrangment of almost any song in very short order. Tremendous musicianship.
  3. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    It's a lot like "Rites Of Strings" (Stanley, Jean Luc, & Al Dimeola), but instead of Al Dimeola on guitar they have Bela Fleck on banjo. I believe they play some of the same tunes from "Rites Of Strings" as well.