Stanley Clarke and Victor Wooten harmonic stuff and crap

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by InfinityJaco, Aug 6, 2001.

1. InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    I'm curious...I bought the "new" Victor Wooten album, "Yin-Yang" I think it's called, and he does some phat harmonics stuff in like the first song and other songs, where he'll hit a harmonic and then bend it up or is that done?? does he use a pitch bender pedal or bend the neck (the interval skip sounds too big for that though), or maybe like an artificial harmonic while the string is bent up and then let it slide down?? (doesn't sound like an artificial harmonic though)... how is this done?! I know Stanley Clarke has done it on his stuff too...

2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Vic's got a whammy on at least one of his Foderas.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think that Stanley Clarke does it by playing the harmonic and then pressing down on the string with his left hand, behind the nut - between the point where the strings go over the nut and the tuners.
  4. The first song on the Yin & Yang album has Steve Bailey playing fretless 6 string. On a freless, you can slide artificial harmonics. And I've seen (in video) and heard Steve Bailey do this A LOT!

I'm not sure exactly what part of the song you're referring to off-hand, but I think what you're referring to was actually played by Steve Bailey - not Victor.

And yes, Victor does have a whammy bar on at least one of his Foderas and I have heard him bend harmonics with his whammy bar, but that was on the Three Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Album.
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Roger The Bruce-
    ...Strawberry Lindfields 4-Ever nailed it.

You can also do this-
    1)Play the harmonic
    2)Grab the headstock with fretting hand and move it back & forth...CAREFULLY!
  6. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Yeah, I think Bruce nailed it too, but here's one more method that doesn't require the reach needed to bend the string on the tuner side of the nut.

When you strike the harmonic, instead of removing the fretted finger from the string, use it to push the string inward towards the upper horn. You have to do this without pressing down on the string or you could cut off the harmonic tone. This is useful if you are striking and bending several harmonics in close succession. Saves a lot of jumpin' around.