Stanley Clarke... can he still hang or what?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Jan 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Here's a concert from this year. Stanley with a bunch of "kids". It's like watching Bjorn Borg playing Nadal and winning. Stanley's got to be in his mid to late 60s now. These guys are barely 20 and they are some of the best players out there right now!!! How can he still have that youthful fire? But he does!
    Anyway, the recording is kind of grainy low quality, but the playing is top notch.
    If anybody here has a link to a better quality of this concert, can you please post it? It's Northsea Jazz Festival 2015

2. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    No, I don't let Stanley hang anynore. He always drinks all my gin and tells me how much I suck.

MattZilla, kobass, hintz and 2 others like this.
  3. Hey Rufus, I see why you're in the Lefty's union LOL

Captain Chaos and rufus.K like this.
  4. EmptyCup

EmptyCup

Feb 25, 2013
    Nashville Area
    YES !!!

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Remember these young guys are reading book that Stanley Clarke wrote. I think Stanley Clarke went through a funk in midlife, and he mailed in some albums and concerts. He has refocused, and he is burning hotter than ever.

Rebop, Mike_1978, kobass and 4 others like this.
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Stanley is 64 and yes, he can still hang with the best of them. Most folks can still play well, well into the 70's and 80's. I saw a video of an old guy (Had to be in his late 80's or early 90's) and he was ripping on a guitar with ease.

7. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    He will be 65 in 2016. He's not an NFL linebacker, so age doesn't really matter.
    He is my favorite bassist. Those kids look like they are having a great time being able to play with a master like him. The drummer is really good, but that Muppet hairdo is really distracting.

hintz and Dr. Cheese like this.
  8. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Dang. Yeah, he can hang... He can hang with a bunch of burnin' bandmates hanging from his ankles... supporting the whole thang.
    I saw RTF back in the '70s before I started playing bass, and out of that band of [email protected] mofos, Stanley was the one who most blew my mind. I walked away talking about "that freakin' incredible bass player whose hands were like giant spiders on speed"
    Nice to see him playing Alembic again, too.

hintz, Dr. Cheese and pacojas like this.
  9. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i saw Stanley in Berkeley @ The Greek Theater in 79 or 80. yes,.. he blew me away. BUT,.. i was almost as blown away by his personal roadie during sound check, lol. OMGGGZ!!! the dude had the floor and he owned it, for all of 60seconds, playing a passage of a RTF classic. ;)

hintz, Plutonium244 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  10. Can he hang? Damn yeah! I was at that North Sea Festival Gig and it was one of the highlights of the 3 day festival for me.

Stanley came on, picked up his Alembic and said to the audience "You don't mind if we warm up a bit before we start do you?" Everyone shouted "no" back at him, and they launched straight into the first tune on this video...warm up, yeah right...

I must admit that I spent the next hour or so completely spellbound...but I had got there early and had a great spot to watch from....

That's me on the bottom right of the photo...maroon shirt, white T, specs and baldy head.

image_zpswpoaozbl.jpg

And here's a cellphone snap I took from there...

image.jpg1_zps1vnvfzao.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    MonetBass, hintz, nutdog and 5 others like this.
  11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I see you!

12. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Who wants to make the now imminent "Does playing ability deteriorate with age?" thread?

pacojas likes this.
  13. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Now that would be starting a train wreck for sure.

14. Stanley
    Seems like that question has been answered. I remember hearing Silly Putty for the first time.Right about the time when Paul Jackson was hot and when For the love of the money, with the other Jackson was on the radio. I sold my guitar and started playing the bass. Changed my life.
    I'm 60 now and I'm still trying to get better. Listening to Stanley still kicking ass like that is really inspiring.
    If anybody has found found the HD version of that concert...please ...

15. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i'll be 60 soon and while i can say i am still getting better with age, the wounds/injuries throughout the years are trying to rear their ugly heads! :(

16. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    It's cool that you can hear him singing his line along with the upright bass around 11:00.
    Amazing performance, I will have to come back and watch the whole 1:13:00 later. It's entrancing.

Jools4001 and pacojas like this.
  17. Can't help you on the HD version of that concert (although it doesn't seem too low res to me) but there are a bunch of live recordings done by the same band a month or so earlier for a Dutch TV station...if that helps

Reminds me, I must pay my brother-in-law for the tickets for the 2016 North Sea Jazz Festival....this years trip is already booked!

18. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    SC has always had excellent chops. He's classically trained on the DB and his facility on the instrument is second to none

hintz likes this.
  19. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Was he not playing Alembic for a while?

20. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Stanley is a beast on bass and always has been. I had the good fortune of meeting him in 1990 when Animal Logic was playing in Nashville at the same place our band was playing. I believe Victor Wooten was there that night and 4 months later I started taking lessons from him. Got my first Alembic Series I 4-string bass a month later. To me my favorite bassist on electric bass are Stanley Clarke, Jaco Pastorious, and Victor Wooten. There really good players out there, these three will always be my top three. Their playing helped shape my playing through the years. Stanley Clarke is just a fantastic player aND was very nice to me when we talked. Any young people reading this, should spend time watching him on youtube and listening to his recordings, because a bright light of "bass enlightenment" may shine on you.

Dr. Cheese, pacojas and hintz like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021