Stanley Clarke... can he still hang or what?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Jan 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Sigh. Animal Logic was 26 years ago, wasn't it. That makes me sad.

jerry likes this.
  2. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    Just did a run in NYC. Smoking on the upright. He had those kids working pretty hard to keep up. He is a bad ass on the electric but I think even better on the DB.

pacojas likes this.
  3. Stanley could have the flu, and have the worst, off playing day and still be light years ahead of my playing.

4. aaronious

aaronious

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    I know guy who is 85, his hearing is shot. He can't play in a band setting anymore. But if you give him a guitar, solo, he will blow your mind into tiny little pieces.

pacojas likes this.
  5. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    It depends on demographic and geographical locations. Up north (here!) where white people gets too little sun and - thus - too little D-vitamin to support their bones, cartilage, joints and so on, arthritis creeps in at a sooner age. Not to speak of cold and low temperature. Watch later videos of Steve Morse band (similar musicians music) where Steve has this aid on picking wrist. He has to slow down his numbers considerably. Just as a singer needs to drop keys as he ages. It wears and tears through the ages. All of the time. The musclesl can't heal up with 100 percent all of the time. Just as any sportsmen, athlete. Ritchie Blackmore has said that after his newly reformed stint wiht his hard rock act Rainbow (just 3-4 concerts this years) he will call it quits, even with Blackmores Night which is medieval acoustic music. The reason he said was "arthritis sets in ever so slowly and painfully". It's nothing you can do, but take advantages of the music in other areas instead.

I do think Clarke kicks serious ass, in here, but it's the young and hungry band that sure peps him up, and keeps him afloat. If all of his band was in the 60s, like the last Return To Forever reuinion which was a tad tardy and sluggish, it woul go down a wreck. One can't help but think that this type of bands are better off. They do that from time to time, "older" musicians (Zawinul did too, another example) hiring young hot-shots to revitalize their high speed fusion. I've no problem with that at all. It makes the music sound "charged and hungry" again.

So yes, Clarke can still hang.

Tupac, Dr. Cheese and hintz like this.
  6. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    I agree, and consider myself still young!;)(almost 33) Actually my father got me into Stanley, and i still consider him the gold standard to which all bassists should aspire to!! :)

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  7. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    And yes, its truly inspiring to hear him still play like a total badass!! I started attempting"Life is just a game"(once again, and at a fraction of the tempo), talk about cutting your teeth to a recording!! Unbelievable how great he still is!!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  8. madbass6

madbass6 Inactive

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    ok.. I had to read this over like 10 times to make sure i actually read it rite! "wow" dude !! ok so those guys all mite be in there 20s, and mite be some of the Best ! but none are and will never be stanley Clark!! dude you're talking about stanley clark here! so to answer your question how can he still have that youth full fire ? the answer is he's STANLEY CLARK period!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  9. And people say metal is just noise?? I've never found anything he plays to be musical.

10. kopio

kopio

May 8, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I saw him about 15 years ago in a very small venue in Portland, Oregon. I wasn't even a bass player yet....I started just a little after that concert. I was about 15 feet from him and Armand Sabal-Lecco....it was his "One, Two, To the Bass" tour. It was one of the best shows I've ever seen live. He is an absolute maestro....and when he picks up his upright its even more amazing. For me...it's Stanley, Marcus, and Victor. They all have distinct style, but they are all the best players out there....like the Trinity of Bass!

11. mc900ftj

mc900ftj

Jan 21, 2014
    Yes he can. Saw him a year or so ago with the "kids". They all killed it. :smug:

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  12. madbass6

madbass6 Inactive

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    [QUOE="DwaynieAD, post: 18243538, member: 179908"]And people say metal is just noise?? I've never found anything he plays to be musical.[/QUOTE]
    Wow!! it gets better and better ! Serious dude Did you forget the lol? If you've never found anything stanley clark plays musical, you're defenetly not listening to Stanley clark or dont know good music when you hear it! the man is not only an amazing Bass Player he's a musical genius ! at another levell! and Not just on Bass!
    probably why he's where he's at today ?
    not to mention countless movie tracks under his belt!
    Wow!! Ive heard some Unbelievable bizarre postings here on TB but Damm dude yours is defenetly on the top 3 for sure!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  13. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    One thing that has been negleted when speaking of "playing ability detoriates with age" is that "hearing ability detoriates with age". The latter one can't be attributed to anything, and I think that one, plays a greater role, when all musicianship is tied in. Moreso than any artrithis or something. This has mostly to do with hearing others on stage, and react swiftly to what they're playing, no matter fast or slow. While you can have glasses when eyesight detoriates, there's really no equivalent of it in the hearing aid industry. The hearing aids are always battery driven (amplifying certain frequencies) but glasses are always "passive". Glasses, they might be progressive though..(cough cough...arhemm). ;)

14. I can imagine it might be easy to go on auto pilot once you reach a certain level of musicianship. You're comfortable and confident in the skills you have. But as time goes by young guys pass you and all of a sudden you're not that relevant anymore. Stanley has a lot of guts to surround himself with extremely good young players like that. Sure, they play the poopie out of the tunes and they make him sound good.But if he wasn't on top of his game it could easily be tragic too. "
    I'm just admiring Stanley for exposing himself to that kind of a risk and totally rising to the challenge. "Life is just a game and there's many ways to play."...(you know the song) Jeff beck is kind of in the same position.
    And yes Stanley's great on electric but on Upright he's just out of this world!

15. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I can't think of a single case where an artist's ability to play deteriorated as they aged. And, somehow, ears get better along the way - or at least what's between them does.

I'm 44 now. I listen to a lot of music, but maybe 1/3 as much as I did when I was a teenager. Yet, when I hear those songs now, I hear things that escaped me through 1000 listenings then. I recently heard Power Station's "Bang a Gong" cover for the first time in years. I could hear an obvious move to the IV in the the verse that I never heard when I was covering that song in a band in 1986 - I played the I the whole time. I might just be an idiot.

Anyway - on topic...Stanley Clarke once challenged his listeners to find another bass player doing the stuff he was doing with this thumb, but who was doing it not in the keys or E or A minor. I went back and listened to my Louis Johnson, Bootsy, and Larry Graham stuff...and Stanley was right.

My challenge comes when players gain enough money and following to start becoming experimental with their writing, and they start doing stuff out of left field that sounds nothing like what made them popular. John Mayer, whom I actually think is an amazing talent, has released a few indulgent records recently and I have lost interest. Sting is now recording traditional Scottish music. That kind of thing.

16. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    That made me laugh, I still consider Animal Logic a "recent" project. Time goes too fast!;)

Altitude likes this.
  17. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Uhhh... I didn't see the last tour with Frank Gambale and Jean-Luc Ponty, but I saw the 2008 tour with Dimeola, Corea, & White, and sweet-mother-of-god if that's what you would call "a tad tardy and sluggish" then I have zero interest in hearing what you would call Crisp, Incisive, Brisk, or (heaven forfend) Speedy...because it would probably cause me to have a seizure.
    Those guys were smoking in '08. Just as tight, spirited, and fast as the original recordings, plus their harmonic vocabularies had all improved due to 30+ years of maturity.

18. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    But if I saw them - too - in their heydays (mid 70s) and compared it, and the '08 shows didn't hold a candle? Not even in the ballpark. Mind you that I was not alone in my stance with those who've seen them both back then and '08. You should not judge the DVD from '08 tour, in which they play it too safe, but on that DVD when Stanley hits the upright, it seems that he was the sole member that didn't have lost it. But the rest played it safe. A bit too safe. IMHO.

Mind you I don't compare to original recording, because when they took the original recording to tour and played it live in those days it was totally unbelievable. I compare it to the live shows from those days. They ramped it up even further from the recording. Seizure-making. Even Al Di Meola has said in interviews that if he'd tried to play like that today, he would have a seizure or heart attack.

19. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    Ok, compare second tune (the same) in each of these sets.It's even a "slow" tempo tune. Come back. First from 1975, later from 2008:

The hungriness, urge, importance, commitment.

20. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021