Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stanley Clarke Collection

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by c-ba55, Nov 15, 2002.

1. I just got this book of Stanley Clarke transcriptions. I want to hear some of them. All I have is School Days and Stanley Clarke (and his Bass-ic Collection greatest hits thing) which cover only 6 of the 16 songs in the book.

So I'm wondering what minimal set of albums I might buy to hear a good chunk of

Bass Folk Song
    Christmas in Rio
    Dayride
    East River Drive
    The Magician
    Song to John (Part II)
    Stories to Tell
    Time Exposure
    Vulcan Worlds
    What if I forget the Champagne

2. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
  3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    A very nice '70s CTI album I only recently picked up is Joe Farrell's Moon Germs...Farrell on sax/flute, DeJohnette on drums, Hancock on electric piano, & Clarke on acoustic bass.
    A nice version of "Bass Folk Song" is on this album(which can be had cheap, too...www.dustygrooves.com).

"Dayride" is from RTF's No Mystery(I think that was DiMieola's RTF debut...I think).

"Song For John(Coltrane)" is from Clarke's 3rd 'solo' album, Journey To Love(as is the funky "Silly Putty").

I'd definitely pick up Farrell's album(IMO, just a cool '70s CTI Jazz vibe...the Rhodes piano is a nice touch) & Journey To Love.

4. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    i love this guy, one of the best. just my opinion, but i think his best stuff is with return to forever. of the songs on your list, the magician is on romantic warrior, which is definitely the best place to start with this band, most consider it their best...be warned though, tough chops. vulcan worlds is on where have i known you before (which was actually di meola's rtf debut), and dayride is on no mystery. both of these are very good albums. his early solo albums school days and journey to love (for song to john) are also excellent and contain a couple of songs on your list. his later stuff gets a bit more commercial verging on "light jazz" but still great bass playing. again, good luck, you're going to need some sick chops to play some of this stuff.

5. Oh, I have that Rite of Strings album too, so "Song for John" is covered.

There is definitely much sick playing. At times it seems like it should just say "play as fast as you can," (crossed out and replaced with "play as fast as Stanley Clarke can.") But those parts tend to be two-finger runs or something. Another thing that makes it more playable is he has actual phrasing. Not just endless sixteenth notes, interspersed with even faster passages, but he uses the arcane concept of quarter notes and etc...

I could take this and my Willis book and my Jaco book (which actually I'm mostly on top of) and hole up for a long, long time. Then maybe I'd be ready to take out the dreaded Charlie Parker book again.

P.S. on the cover, he is using completely wretched technique. right wrist fully 90 degrees, left hand a fist with thumb over top. But the expression on his face implies some sort of transcendent moment.