Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stanley Clarke [ Happy jazz warning]

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jerry, Apr 14, 2003.

1. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I just got the new Stanley Clarke album, and unless you like happy-jazz...stay away from it! It's so sugary, I'm going for a diabetes test;) Pick up Stanley's early stuff of Vertu....you will be better off.

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Stanley still plays the bass ???:eek:

I thought he just had pictures taken with it these days.;)

3. Man I have never heard any Stanley Clarke till the other day. The local radio station was doing classics and played School Days. Holy crap it was great. Anyone have a suggestion of the first album of his to buy?

4. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Stanley did three in a row that are simply great, his self titled, Journey to Love & School Days. You can't go wrong with any of them......no "Happy Jazz":D

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Oh well, you confirmed my fear for that album. :(

6. Cool, thanks Jerry, time to start another collection I guess!

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Jerry is right on about those. Also check out the RTF albums.

Anything after the mid 80's you might as well
    not invest in; all softcore...

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Awww man....I got all pumped after that Bass Player interview. Stanley sounded like he was back on track. Too bad. :( I shoulda known though the moment I heard Oprah Winfrey is on it. I guess hope was beating down realism in that case.

brad cook

9. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The Bassplayer artical gave me hope too.....I was looking foward to it:(

10. Stan is on the local radio show (live) right now as i type this. He is playing to shows here tonight in rochester in a small club, I have tickets to both, I can hardley wait,
    As far as his new disc. it is a little over produced- I think this is because he just gets board and likes to try new thinks. go to his webpage www.stanleyclarke.com and look at his discography- It takes 20 minutes just to scroll all the way down. I mean come on, one of the greatest bass players ever did the soundtrack to undercover brother:meh: But listen to the songs on the soundtrack and:D :bassist:

11. The RTF albums feature some of Stanley's best playing. My favourites are "No Mystery" and "Light as a Feather". I used to listen to them for hours on end back in the day...

:cool:

12. does anyone have a review of the show? I'm going to see him Sunday in ATL and am wondering if he's playing any old stuff.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Check out the soundtrack to 'Passenger 57'! Talk about some funky @$$ bass playin'............:bassist:

14. Bass-ic Collection is not a bad sampler.:bassist:

15. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I'm sure Stanley's live show is going to be a different animal.....it will be great! There are so many bands like Spyro Gyra etc, who's albums I don't care for, but live just smoke!

p.s. There where a couple songs on the new Stanley Clarke album I do like.....I was just disappointed in most of it......they really didn't have to remake 'Where Is The Love' when there is already the definitive version out there by Donny Hathaway & Roberta Flack.

16. Back in the early '90s I bought Stanley Clarke's "East River Drive" album and wasn't too impressed. It sounded like elevator jazz. Anyway, he came through town in support of that album and I decided to check it out anyway. As it turned out, it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. Not at all like the album.

I just bought Return to Forever's, "Light is a Feather" a couple weeks ago and it's probably the most impressive bass playing I've heard from him.

17. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I didn't see this one on his web page. I like it a lot.

Personnel:Stanley Clarke (bass); Ndugu Chancler (drums); Patrice Rushen (piano).
    [​IMG]

18. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Nobody ever mentions "Rites Of Strings", I like that one a lot.

19. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I like Patrice Rushen...

I always thought that Stan the Man was/ is a better double bass player than he is an electric player.

Not diminshing the mark he made on the bg environment or anything, I just find his upright playing, while equally athletic and virtuosic, deeper and infinitely more musical than his bg playing.

It's funny tho, he will always be known for making a mark in the electric world but I've heard him tell people (me) that bassists should pursue the DB for lifelong satisfaction (i am parahrasing here...)

Listening to the self-titeled album the other day, i thought that if i were hearing this for the first time I wouldn't really be impressed. I was seriosly impressed when I was 13 and wore the grooves off of the vinyl...He had some intonation issues on most of the tracks.

at any rate, i still dig Stan for the most part. Wish tho that he would play a little more aggresively- he's not in the senior bowling league or anything.

I read in BP that he wants to keep up (parahrasing again) witht the likes of Wooten, et al., but I do not see how that can happen unless he sheds for a few years and comes up with something fresh and meaningful.

rant over.

peace.