1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stanley Clarke "Lisa" - How does he do that?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by spthomas, Apr 17, 2015.

1. spthomas

spthomas

Mar 25, 2014
    Hi all. After many years as a drummer/percussionist and more years as a guitarist, I'm now playing bass. note I say "playing bass" and not "a bassist"; not NEARLY there yet!

I recently heard Stanley Clarkes song "Lisa" from the Passenger 54 soundtrack. I'm assuming he's playing all that melody on the bass. How does he do that? My bass is about an octave short of making that work

When I hear playing like that, or Freddie Washington's bass line on Patrice Rushen's "Forget Me Nots", I hear bass going in a direction I didn't even know was possible!

LOTS more to learn...

Steve

2. Piccolo or tenor bass.

JimK and esa372 like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yep, Stanley plays a bass strung an octave higher called a piccolo bass.

4. spthomas

spthomas

Mar 25, 2014
    And the learning continues! I never knew there was such a thing as a Picolo bass!

Steve

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Ron Carter, too...even named an album Piccolo.
    Piccolo (album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Peg Leg was another album, same group/same time frame.
    Carter's, though, was acoustic.
    Buster Williams played standard URB; Carter's piccolo URB allowed him to play the heads/melodies.
    YouTube

6. Pearcy Heath and Ray Brown also played a modified Kay cello dubbed a piccolo bass.
    Ron Carter played a quarter size acoustic bass.