Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stanley Clarke - LIVE IN LONDON heads up!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, May 19, 2004.

1. Sorry to add another thread here for Ronnie Scott's gigs (I edit a gig guide for the UK magazine Jazzwise) but the snappy, slappy monster that is Stanley Clarke will be doing a whole week of gigs at Ronnie's in July:

Monday 12th - Saturday 17th
    STANLEY CLARKE
    www.stanleyclarke.com

I've never been a huge fan but I'm sure it'll well worth checking out - as he IS a leg-end and has had a huge influence on a lot of people - should be cool - doubtless I'll get tickets so maybe see some of you there...

2. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Is there anywhere online selling tickets yet? Tried Seetickets, Ticketweb and Ticketmaster, and nothing on them.

Russ :bassist:

3. I think the only way you can get tickets for Ronnie's is by calling them - try having a look here: www.ronniescotts.co.uk - try here:

Ronnie Scott’s
    Best jazz club in the World
    47 Frith Street, London W1D 4HT
    Tel: +44 (0)20 7439 0747
    Fax: +44 (0)20 7437 5081

they will reserve you a table I think - I believe they will take a credit card booking - and stuff does sell out there (I was at Charlie Watts' gig and he had the place sold out for two weeks!) so being on the case now will mean you will get tickets - checl under 'Coming Attractions'

4. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I went to see him last night - the band was smoking!

5. Brilliant Ari - really looking forward to it - going tonight, did he have Abel Sabal (don;t kow how to spell that dude's name) on second bass?

6. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Yes, it was armand sabal lecco - his playing was just wild!

7. Cool man - I've heard Sabaal is amazing and I am seriously looking forward to it now, as you can see from my post above (below - wherever) I saw Patitucci last night and it was OK - but it was a bit showbiz - the times I have been to Ronnie's recently have been really enjoyable - it's such a classic venue that still has some of the old magic about it - the only trouble being they have s*it beer on tap and the food sucks! So I will be eating beforehand! Thanks for the feedback - it's going to be great - we must hook up soon and do some real live bass talking! Next couple of weeks are better for me - I have a lot of freelance on right now - and I should be getting on with it instead of wasting time here!!!!

Take care dude - see you soon

M

8. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I'm not going to be to make these shows now. The first set doesn't finish til 11.45(!) and there's no train I can catch then. :mad:

9. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I heard Patitucci was playing at the pizza express with Chick Corea this week - did you see him there?

Ronnie Scott is a nice place but the entrance fee is damn expensive! Last week I was there too, I saw the Roy Powell trio with talkbasser Frode Berg on bass - Frode is a really great player! Then the second band was "Claire Martin and the Laurence Cottin big band"... they covered two Tower of Power tunes, their horn section is terrific! And Laurence Cottin is a really good bassist too, I never heard of him before.

Look forward to meeting you, we should set up a Talkbass "get together" in London as I am sure there are more Londoners on TB!

10. Word to all of the above - I'd love to have heard Frode - he's awesome, I just got his album - and Laurence is someone I've known for a few years as a journo - he's one heck of a great player. JP at Pizza - I don't think so - just the Corea tour of stadiums for those guys!

And yeah, a London TB Bass Meet would be cool - maybe we can work something out soon - or end of the "summer" - it's not exactly been a summer to remember, for the weather that is! Actually, I've had a great summer...! :) Speak soon M

11. Just a quickie to say WOW - Stanley absolutely rocked last night - and so did his band - I gained a lot of respect for him as a muso last night. What a great double bass player too - the solo spot he did was really amazing. Armand Sabel Lecco really kicked ass on his solo spot too - what a great groovy motherf***er he is, and as for the young violinist, can't remeber his name, he was utterly superb! Anyway if you are at able to go and see Stanley I thoroughly recommend you make the effort and check him out - a really, really enjoyable and exciting gig!

Man - I really dug his stuff - damn!

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's always the trouble for me - classical concerts finish at sensible times, so you can get back - but Jazz clubs are just insanely late-night - impossible if you have to get back to work the next day!! :meh:

13. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Why is it that live music often becomes such a late night thing. Why can't we have Give me the Evening rather than Give me the Night? ;)

Wulf

14. Hey Munki

Glad to hear you enjoyed the gig.

Did you stay for both sets and what time did the last one finish ?

Also what proportion of the sets were acoustic/electric ?

Cheers

Nick

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Laurence Cottle is one of - maybe, the best UK Jazz BG players - been around for a long time on the UK Jazz scene and I have a few albums where he plays .

Clare Martin lives in Brighton - my home town - very popular as a singer and all-round nice person. She does workshops in Brighton quite often and I think I mentioned before - at one of these there was no drummer and I was the bass player - so Clare sat in on drums and was pretty good - but she kept saying to me (I hope I'm not putting you off??!! ;) )

So - she was playing drums and giving coaching/ hints/tips to the various singers, who had turned up, at the same time!!
    We've already had one of these - based around the Steve Lawson/Michael Manring clinic at the Bass Centre, although Mike was around - not a TB'er then, but CS, Howard K, Wulf, myself and others met up for a pizza beforehand!! :)

Probably time to do it again!!

16. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    From what I have heard the violin player is from Denmark, he's only 23 and already some kind of virtuoso!

I really liked Armand's solo in the first song, even if at the end it was a bit too much for me (but that's what usually happens with slap&pop stuff anyway)

Stanley's upright playing on Confirmation (without drums) was great, and his upright solo piece was incredible. I was amazed at what he does with the instrument, slapping and strumming his double bass!

I attended only the first set then left though, I would have loved to stay until the end but it was quite late and I had to go!

17. Hey, like Ari described really well above, he did just two pieces on acoustic, Confirmation was cool and his solo spot called Touch, where he really slapped the hell out of his DB was really incredible - he got so into the flamenco style chords he played at the start that he knocked the little bass-mic off the bass! Luckily his small army of bass-tech's helped him get things back on track - Stanley wasn't phased though and he just quipped "these things happen" and the crowd were really patient and stayed quiet while the problem was fixed. Then Clarke just ripped it up on the DB - really cool. I also liked the way he took the piss before hand - when he "I'm going to do a solo acousitc bass piece - so bear with me!"

The tune where Armand took a solo was called 'The Opening' and yes it did get very OTT - he's a great all round player though - and when they - he and Stan - went nuts at the end I just thought it was them having a lot of fun - which translated really well to the crowd - definitely made me chuckle!

It was especailly sweet when my long-term-bass-suffering girlfriend said after they played a ripping version of 'School days' - "That last tune was awesome!!!" - which is a sign of a good gig - she even started getting the idea of Stan's tenor bass tuning - she's a very musical person but doesn't actually play - but if nothing else that was testimony to a really great gig that anyone in to music would have appreciated.

My funnest time at Ronnie's so far - <b>now I'm looking forward to Richard Bona at Pizza Express on Dean Street, next week!!!!!!!!!!!! Be there or don't be there as I like to say...</b>

My only weird moment was when I went to the Gents and I bumped into Stanley at the top of the stairs and had a couple of seconds where I could say something to him and all I came up with was "Play a good set dude" - he didn't really seem to be at all bothered by me or my advice - and I noticed he definitely has a bit of an ego on him - but he did play really well so I forgive him...

18. Agreed - doing Ronnies shows serious commitment to jazz/music- I live in London and even I got home at 12.45 - hitting the sack around 1.30 - I just played a three hour band practice today and I am seriously tired - but it was a great gig last night and I feel I witnessed something pretty special - I used to live in Brighton and that meant getting home close to 3am just to see the early set at Ronnnies!!!! One day I might stay for both sets but so far my endurance levels just can't do that kind of thing without illegal substances other than coffee in my system! That's how Joe Zawinul does it - or so I have 'heard'...!