Stanley Clarke? Rite of Strings? Elevator music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Hmmm...

Curious...I have Rite of Strings playing on my stereo right now, and I'm also on the phone with my girlfriend...and she said it sounds like elevator/hotel/coffee shop music...

So now I'm elevator music actually good, or does Rite of Strings, in actuality, suck?

Hmmm...or does my girlfriend just not appreciate good music? :p
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    She just doesn't get it, Sheepy :)

I saw Rite of Strings in Atlanta @ the Peachtree Jazz Festival right after the CD came out. It was mindblowing how good they were. That said, at least 50% of the audience left during their show. I chalk it up to a number of reasons - every other group for the two day fest was a smooth jazz / funk jazz oriented outfit, ROS was the last act of the last day, it was hot and (and I believe this above all the other reasons) the music was far over most people's heads.

FWIW, I love that CD. (course, maybe I don't know good music, either)
  3. And the answer is .......

What was the question again?:confused:
  4. Aaah...
    Yes yes, I see. Thanks for that, Paco. Makes me feel so much better about it. :p

My bro likes it, too. And I think my dad finds it soothing to the ear, too. And he's a hardcore classical person, he just "doesn't get jazz". Those are his words. :)
  5. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Not to dis your girlfriend or anything, but she has a limited frame of reference. That CD is hardly elevator music, unless of course a music connoisseur had it playing on a boom box in the elevator. I saw the tour when it came to NY and it was awsome. It's a great CD, but not for everyone.
  6. Hehehe...

Don't worry about it. I was just talking to my brother about it and he's changed his mind about it. He doesn't really like the whole CD. He says he likes mellow stuff, but RoS is a little too mellow for him. He prefers mellow stuff with lyrics, like James Taylor. I dunno. Ever since I started listening to more instrumental stuff, RoS has always ended up on the stereo for at least a full day when I'm in one of my "instrumental" moods. :p
  7. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Pretty much everything these days is "elevator music." How often have you been put on hold to Z100, Miles Davis or Vivaldi?
  8. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i was walking through safeway (the grocery store chain) and what were they playing? yup...stanley clarke...east river drive. so, here i am walking around humming the tune. my wife kept looking at me like i was an idiot. and i love getting put on hold to some good jazz. just kinda ticks me off when the person i was trying to call picks up the phone :D
  9. "Rite of Strings" is one of my desert island CDs. The music has so much intensity and passion. I could listen to it all day.
  10. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I couldn't agree more.
  11. Uhm...
    Never, actually.

Here in Hong Kong it's still the same old hold music as what's been around since years ago or so?

Midi Christmas carols, Midi "Yankee Doodle" etc. I always anticipate when the person finally takes me off hold, even if I'm not too fond of talking to them. :p
  12. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Elevator music can be good. I would yield to the master of the art form-Antonio Carlos Jobim...with Mantovani running a close second. It also makes for good shower music too.