Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stanley Clarke Special: Sunday 1 pm on BET

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Aaron, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
  2. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY

3. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    That's gonna be smokin'!!! Thanks

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm all over that. thanks :D

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Cool...but we need to address something else here...what's up with this quote about his new CD that appears at the top of the website:

:eek:

Oprah Winfrey??! What's she gonna do, a duet bass jam with Stan??

brad cook

6. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Oprah reads a Maya Angelou poem on one of the tracks. Are you the one who posted about not receiving your March (or Feb??) Bass Player magazine in the mail? Hehe. Stanley talks about it in his interview in the March issue.

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'm there...the first time i saw bela fleck/flecktones was on BET...i had never heard of vic wooten at the time. BET rules.

8. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Don't know if the schedule is the same everywhere, but here, the show is on at 12pm EST.

9. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Thanks..:cool:

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yup! That's me. Figgers. :rolleyes:

Someone tell Stanley that having Oprah on your CD is cheesy, no matter what she's doing.

brad cook

11. Quick question.
    I have a cable channel called "BET" but Stans site says it in on "BET Jazz"
    Is that the same station or are there two?

12. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    The email i got from www.stanleyclarke.com said it was on the "BET channel" at 1 pm. But the tvguide.com says it is on at noon on BET. So check, i guess. Bet and BET jazz are two different channels.

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah. BET and BET Jazz are two different channels. BET Jazz is a VERY cool channel by the way. From what I've seen on my friend's digital cable BET Jazz just plays constant jazz concerts. Pretty sweet.

brad cook

14. Crap I only have BET and for the first half of the day it is an Italian station.

15. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    OH MAN....I just saw it, it was GREAT.

Who was the guy after Flea at the end? He was awesome, and I've never heard of the guy. can some one tell me a little bit about him?

And I must say, I've never heard three drummers play together, but they pulled it off very nicely.

I thought Stu Hamm was a bit of a disappointment. His performance was a tad sloppy and he was turned down in the mix. It also sounded like he prepared his solo the night before. Just some thoughts.

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I was really disappointed. Not one tune was played in it's entirety. There was way too much talking over the playing. The first segment was bassically a commercial for the MI.

It was a tribute that Stanley deserved. BET could have done a much better job - a tribute to the man AND the music

Mike

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    We'd probably all be surprised if we found out how many pro bass players actually DO prepare their solos the night before. Just a thought...not that there's anything wrong with that.

brad cook

18. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    My lousy cable company decided to show infomercials during this time. Can anyone dupe me a copy? Thanks

19. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I set up to tape it since it was on while I was at church. My VCR goofed on me:bawl: I got nothing but static:bawl: Hopefully it will air again sometime soon....:(

20. wonderboy

wonderboy

Oct 27, 2002
    it's not airing this week. but MAN it was a a great display of amazing bassery. it was an hour of bass mastery. if there is a dvd coming out on the entire show, i'd pick it up in a heartbeat. the bass jam at the end was cool. some of those cats did some major stuff!