1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Stanley Clarke Spellcaster Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Clark W, Feb 22, 2021.

1. jkazam

jkazam Supporting Member

May 25, 2007
    30.5" scale, not that I'm judging shorties, but the bridge being so far up the body seems like a total waste of space to me.

Bob_Ross, bench, Luigir and 2 others like this.
  2. Clark W

Clark W Just Say No To Tort! Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    The price isn't outrageous. After upgrades on a brand new Am Performer and 120 on a hardshelI case, plus sales tax on everything, I have about 2 grand in the bass. Paid 1249 for the bass itself.

But 2 grand for a bass by a company I never heard of? Guess that's why they got a well known luthier involved in their project. If it plays as good as it looks, it should be pretty sweet. And the versatility with the pickups, although more than I need, should be pretty versatile too.

The whammy bar, I wouldn't ever need it, but it could be fun.

Bushmaster likes this.
  3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Try getting a 25 fret neck onto a Strat body without it.

Blackjac97 and jkazam like this.
  4. i like it...a wee bit outta my price range but, i wanna see a demo using that whammy bar etc.

Killing Floor and Clark W like this.
  5. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    What a tease, I wanna see more! Definitley has some good tones.

6. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I initially read that as a stack of LSD tabs. Either way, havoc could be wreaked.

7. Shaggai

Shaggai

May 7, 2018
    New Jersey
    There was a time that I was tormenting Fender facebook posts with "I like that guitar by I'd like a Clarke-o-caster better." (And of course mentioning that a Telecaster can only play two types of music, country and western.)

I'm sort of glad that it's not by Fender since they would be going full custom with the price, thinking Phil Lynott signature bass. They do note that it seems to be a reduced price, which could go up sometime in the future - either that, or if you buy it up front you get reduced cost. Might want to get that squared away before ordering.

Bushmaster likes this.
  8. sonic 7

sonic 7 Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Queens, N.Y.C.
    The website says that the reverse headstock is a revolutionary design that provides increased tension on the E string. I’m just gonna go grab some popcorn, I’ll be right back.

9. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    I love basses and the Strat is my favorite guitar (I own two American Strats). But the Spellcaster looks just wrong.

10. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    1: Been done many times before so not revolutionary, not even evolutionary.
    2: Physics says bovine merde.

DrMole and ctmullins like this.
  11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    It’s got a reverse headstock which they claim is revolutionary. The spec page doesn’t list things like pickups and hardware. I think it looks cool. But their description suggests it’s made for guitarists. I believe that. It’s a lot of dough for an unknown. Get a real Strat. Or show me Stanley Clarke playing it in a concert setting.

12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Noooo, their website says you can choose local pickup and save the shipping. That’s a steal.

Obese Chess likes this.
  13. Julian G

Julian G

Mar 16, 2017
    Dubai
    As much as I love Stanley Clarke this is not doing it for me. Too 'guitar' like - its a strat with 4 strings.

EatS1stBassist and 1960jbass like this.
  14. basslayer

basslayer

Jan 3, 2008
    Beaverton, OR
    I'm all about this bass. I'm gonna try to get one somehow.

Green Knight, HaphAsSard and Clark W like this.
  15. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    It’s - cute?

I guess?

Herrick and EatS1stBassist like this.
  16. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    So I did a little digging on Oneonta Guitars.
    First on their website, they only sell two instruments, this bass, and a guitar that is called the American Beauty Classic that sells for $6200 and has Lieber's name on the headstock and clearly looks like a Lieber design.

Second, Oneonta's phone number on their website, it's Lieber's phone number, I googled it. And Oneonta Guitars is a distribution company that was incorporated in 2019. The phone number also goes to a Spellbinder Corp(a musical instrument dealer) in Fly Creek, NY, same town as Oneonta Guitars, Tom Lieber and Lieber's Guitars. So apparently he's got his hands in all of it.

The suspense of where the bass is made though is killing me, so I messaged them and asked, "Is this a Lieber made instrument or only a Lieber designed instrument?" And "If it's only a Lieber designed instrument, who is actually making them?"

Will be interesting to see what answer, if any, I get. I'm guessing they're made somewhere else with QC on the U.S. end as you suggested.

17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    It's a Strat, what's so hard to grok on it?

StoicStrayCat, Clark W and Need Gigs like this.
  18. roswell1965

roswell1965

Mar 5, 2002
    Junk hardware, no mention of country of origin, FOB out of China for $295.00? At least put a set of Hipshots on the thing for cryin' out loud...

19. roswell1965

roswell1965

Mar 5, 2002
    From the website:

The Technical Specification

• Length 43 1/2″
    • Body Length 18 1/4″
    • Body Width 12 3/4″
    • Length 18 1/4″
    • Thickness 1 3/4″
    • Stanley Clarke Short Scale 30 1/2″
    • Neck 1 1/2″ string nut
    • 2 3/16″ fingerboard end
    • Thickness @ 1st fret 27/32″
    • Thickness @ 2nd fret 29/32″
    • 25 nickel silver frets
    • Neck wood Maple
    • Body wood Alder
    • Classic Leo Fender body design
    • Weight 8 1/2 lbs
    • Clear neck finish
    • Vintage Sunburst body finish
    • Two-way adjustable truss rod
    • Rosewood fingerboard
    • Maple neck
    "The technical specification?" Sorry, but this "technical specification" rundown reads like it was copy/pasted straight off of alibaba..

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021