1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stanley Clarke Spellcaster Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Clark W, Feb 22, 2021 at 1:57 PM.

1. Stanley looks at the bass, and it plays itself...and it also sings “I Wanna Play For You”

jthisdell likes this.
  2. Sounds pretty badass to me

db59 likes this.
  3. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Inactive

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody notices
    Stanley been trolling TB

4. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Last summer I shipped a Warwick Corvette in a Roadrunner semi padded case from Virginia to San Diego via FedEx that boxed it and with insurance for $180.

5. "Oneonta Guitar LLC is proud to acquire an exclusive distributorship representing two industry icons....." apparently one being Lieber, and the other the Spellcaster.

6. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    I guess I just can't walk and grok at the same time. I'm fine with it until everyone points and laughs, then it's all I can do to not start blubbering

Jeff Scott and MustangWally like this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Neat idea.... right up until that reverse headstock. :vomit:

DrMole, Jeff Scott, 12BitSlab and 2 others like this.
  8. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    Why would Stanley spec a short scale. The man can probably palm a bowling ball.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Seems like it would make the fretting hand reach about the same as a 34".

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    His Alembics are shortscale AFAIK.

Jeff Scott and Bob_Ross like this.
  11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

^This. :thumbsup:

12. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Greetings from ONEONTA, NY. I believe it’s Tom Lieber, Lieber Guitars in nearby Fly Creek, NY. cheers!

BurningSkies likes this.
  13. Clark W

Clark W Just Say No To Tort! Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    I know that much. But that's all I know. Don't know if Mr Lieber is making them or having them produced somewhere else. Do you know?

I emailed the company last night. Their phone # is the same as Mr Lieber's so it appears he's heavily involved in this.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 7:56 AM
  14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Hey! Why should Marcus Miller get to have all the fun, right? :laugh:

Seems like another very nice bass. One of many in that price range.

From that demo I didn’t hear anything exceptional in the tone. Just the usual bright modern bass sound that has become the current norm. Nor am I seeing much by way of innovation in the electronics. The original, three soapbar equipped, Godin Shifter already did a Strat-style 5-way switch with a push-pull that provided six distinctly different sounds. I don’t hear that big a difference between most settings on the SC Spellcaster.

And sorry, but that whammy bar has got to go. Yeah, yeah, I know, I know… I’m an “old guy.” But “to thine own self be true” as the saying goes. And if so, you just gotta draw the line somewhere. And for me that somewhere is a whammy bar. ;)

Either way I’d enjoy taking it for a test spin. But I doubt we’ll ever be seeing too many of them out in the wild. So the likelihood of a “try before you buy” is pretty slim.

15. Blackjac97

Blackjac97 Supporting Member

May 27, 2012
    Maine
    I wonder if Fender Strat pickguards are an exact fit, would open things wide up for cosmetics.

Clark W likes this.
  16. Clark W

Clark W Just Say No To Tort! Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Exactly!

17. Blackjac97

Blackjac97 Supporting Member

May 27, 2012
    Maine
    That's like his thing. His Alembics are SS as well.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  18. JES

JES Supporting Member

The strat pickup layout hasn’t been a big hit with bassists in the past. Seems like a lot of hype when there are so many good short scales out there already.

19. Gyver

Gyver Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Binghamton, New York
    I'm with you. I live just down the road from Oneonta. 25 frets, short scale, whammy bar. Love it.

BurningSkies likes this.
  20. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    I suspect this will be a blast to play.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021