1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stanley Clarke Spellcaster Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Clark W, Feb 22, 2021 at 1:57 PM.

1. Sub-hoo-fer

Sub-hoo-fer

Nov 27, 2015
    Virginia

Thank you for finding this. I have been wondering what happened to this. I was excited when this first was announced but the lack of Fender involvement and the fact that Oneonta Guitar LLC is less than 2 years old is leaving me flat.

And speaking of Marcus Miller, that headstock looks like a cut down Sire beak to me.

Clark W likes this.
  2. I think this is just the case of a great artist looking for one more color for his palette. I can only imagine the list of basses (and other instruments) he owns and that have passed through his hands over the years. I remember those mandolin-based basses from several years ago. So this is his Hendrix axe possibly, and at times over the years he's had a second bassist to play bass for one of the world's greatest bassists so he could solo and chime in here and there like a trumpet player.

I have to admire it, guys like Mr. Clarke operate in a musical universe I can only dimly understand and marvel at.

Clark W likes this.
  3. Mildew Jones

Mildew Jones

Dec 18, 2014
    I'm waiting for the first video of someone to go distorto-apesh*t with it, bouncing it off the stage by the whammy bar, all the fun stuff those were designed for. Probably not at that price...
    I remember reading an old Jeff Berlin interview where he talked about playing solos, using feedback and guitar like moves, would love to hear this in his hands when he was in that mode.
    MJ

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 9:42 AM
  4. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    exactly... but SC is huuuge, so it probably doesn´t matter to him. Also, i don´t get the 2-way selector, if you have the 5-way... on the other hand, i kinda like this one.

5. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    He does bend a lot for a bass player. I imagine string tension on a short scale makes that easier. Just a guess though.

jerry likes this.
  6. JRT64

JRT64

Jul 13, 2020
    I like the overall Strat like short scale design, but that upside down headstock just doesn't work for me.

Jeff Scott and 12BitSlab like this.
  7. Honkey tonk

Honkey tonk Turn it up Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Lower 48
    I kinda like it , its different but not really , it's familiar ?
    most likely require someone who is different to purchase it .
    Definitely seems geared for guitar players

Honestly, if that thing was hanging on the wall wouldn't you want to give that puppy a spin?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 11:23 AM
  8. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    I don't think I could have less GAS for this. I can't think of a combination of features I'd like less.

Full credit to those that like it tho.

Luigir likes this.
  9. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    What do you even call that? A guitarBass?

10. legalbass

legalbass

Jul 2, 2020
    Chicago
    Interesting. Wonder why they elected to stop at 25 frets instead of just going to 26. *shrugs*

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

When I started reading Simandl II, many of the exercises were higher than my Dimension’s highest E at the 21st fret. I had to use my ($400) DanElectro Longhorn to reach the 24 fret G notated in many of the book’s exercises.

Paradigm bumped...again!

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

It depends upon the kind of material you play and the bands one works with. If it’s a Stax & Volt gig, a Precision or Jazz Bass, if it’s punk or alternative, or noise, it don’t matter.

We’ve seen cats tear our heads off using much worse gear.

I kinda want one.

13. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    ^^^What's hard to grok is how the switches are labeled in the OP: If the two-position mini switch only selects between "Front & Rear Pickups Engaged" and "All Pickups Engaged" what happens when the two-position mini switch is in Position #1 and the 5-way selector goes from Position #1 to Position #2? Nothing?

nbsipics likes this.
  14. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Stanley's head pops up and says "play faster!"

Fialka and Bob_Ross like this.
  15. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    Hard pass. Nothing there for me.

16. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I've been waiting for this to happen since Stanley Clarke announced he was working with Fender on it a coupld of years ago.

Not that I have that kind of money, and I kind of knew that, and obviously Fender got cold feet, but if I had the money required I would order one right now, without any hesitation.

That demo sounds amazing too, especially love the bridge pickup.

I love this bass!

Only wish I could afford it.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 12:23 PM
  17. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    You do know that his main electric bass is a short scale, right, and has been through most of his career?

18. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    How do you know the hardware is junk?

19. Ricky_K

Ricky_K Rick K Supporting Member

May 14, 2013
    St. Paul, MN
    Whenever I go to tune my jazz basses, I think that a reverse headstock would be a good way to go. Ergonomically speaking. Perhaps with the decals also reversed, I would like the aesthetic more.

20. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 12:35 PM
    jthisdell likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021