Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stanley Clarke with Fleck and Ponty at JVC

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by bassame, Jun 26, 2005.

1. bassame

bassame

Mar 25, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    Did anyone have a chance to see this Trio at Carnegie Hall last week? I saw a photo in the Saturday NYTimes that was not put up on their website, but it was a nice shot of Stanley and his equipment. From what I could make out he was using a small omnidirectional (sphere shaped head) mic taped with duct tape (I kid you not) to his tailpiece, going into a small black box with a white logo oriented diagonally downward (cant make out the brand but maybe someone will recall this) and out to two SWR redheads or super redheads (2x10 each). No pickup.

Bassame

2. bassphase

bassphase Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2004
    San Francico Bay Area
    The shape of the mic head has NOTHING to do with it's pickup pattern. It's unlikely it was an omni mic since they pickup in a 360 degree pattern making feedback and bleed from other instruments etc even more likely.

bob

3. bassame

bassame

Mar 25, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    Thank you for setting me straight.

4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I was at that concert and it was great except Stan's sound kept going out because of either a bad cord or bad connector to I guess was a microphone. When he would go into his slap thing on the upright it would go silent and also happened when he was just playing fingerstyle. The sound people used a thin piece of duct tape at first then used a much hefty piece but the problem persisted. He still killed though.

5. bassame

bassame

Mar 25, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    Thanks Phil. I like your location. Anyone else there??

6. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I'm seeing Stanley tommorow at the TRIO show in Toronto! Any other TBers coming ?

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Apparently for their performance at the Jazz Festival in Montreal, Stanley's flight out of NYC was cancelled and they had a Toronto bassist sit in. I was talking to my teacher last night and apparently the poor guy was pushed to his limits, but the crowd gave him a huge hand. It's one thing to be a great bassist in Toronto, but filling in for Stanley Clarke? Yeeeeeeeah. Ouch.

8. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    'fess up: Who hasn't dreamed of it?

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    All too true...