Stanley Clarke's cabs tonight

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnk_10, Feb 21, 2010.

1. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i just got back from seeing Stanley play at the canyon club tonight. (he was awesome BTW).

anyways, i couldn't really see what was exactly in the racks, but there was an SVT CL head up there (with a black tolexed 'tweed type' champ on top of that (with a mic on the champ).

the cabs looked like there were three or four SVT410HLF's, three Ampeg 115 cabs and two SWR 4x10's with horns, plus all of this was also coming thru the FOH.

usually the canyon club's sound is way too subby, and tonight was no exception (although the drums were mic'd great) but overall it was way better than usual, and the mids and highs were crystal clear.

it also helped that, since all of the members of the band's playing was absolutely incredible, they overcame the FOH's subbiness.

2. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Excellent. I would loved to have seen that.

I saw Stanley with Bela Fleck and Jean Luc Ponty so it was an all acoustic set. He definitely rocked that upright too!

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Nice. I've only seen him once, with the Return To Forever reunion, last year. Couldn't see much gear there, but the playing was exactly what you'd expect, perfection.

4. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    That many cabinets sound like overkill to me. Of the four times I've played there, twice was with my Eden WT-400 and Aguilar GS 212 (4 ohm). I was plenty loud (and clear) on stage and friends told me that out in the audience the sound was absolutely huge. Go figure. :)

M. M.

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    surprisingly, it really wasn't overkill, since the band consisted of 2 bass players, a keyboardist and a drummer. i think that the cabs we basically their on stage monitors.

6. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    That's good to hear. I guess musicians of that caliber know what volume knobs are for. ;) Just because you can be too loud doesn't mean you have to be. As I recall, Herman wouldn't hesitate to call you out if your stage volume was too much. Stanley Clarke is awesome. I wish I could have been there with you. :bawl:

M. M.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021